every once in a while i get asked if you can have both c# and visual basic in the same web site project.  my gut response is always to ask "why would you want to" as i always assume it is a new project, etc.  to me, it simply wouldn't make sense from a new project standpoint, code reviews, coding standards, continuity, project maintenance, etc.

however, people still ask.  to-date i never really tried (and that's been my answer).  i was presented with a usable scenario of why you may need (not want, need) to do this, so i finally tried it.  the answer: yes...kinda...sometimes.

let's assume we have a web site structure like this:

sshot-9

we have the App_Code folder and a .cs and a .vb file in the same projects (separated into sub-folders).  note that the project sees them as folders (yellow folder icon) in the special folder.  each class within there basically has a "hello world" function only, like this in the c# file:

1:  public string SayHelloCS()
   2:  {
   3:      return "Hello from CS";
   4:  }

and the visual basic file has a similar function emitting "Hello from VB."

now, if you run default.aspx in this structure, this is what you will see:

The files '/WebSite5/App_Code/VBCode/Class2.vb' and '/WebSite5/App_Code/CSCode/Class1.cs' use a different language, which is not allowed since they need to be compiled together.

interesting?  probably not, but it makes sense...so how do we overcome.  we use a configuration option called .  here's what we need to add to our <compilation> node in our web.config:

1:        <compilation debug="false">
   2:          <codeSubDirectories>
   3:            <add directoryName="VBCode"/>
   4:            <add directoryName="CSCode"/>
   5:          </codeSubDirectories>
   6:        </compilation>

once we add those codeSubDirectory nodes, let's "look" at what the project structure looks like now:

sshot-10

as you can see the code folders are now "special" in the eyes of visual studio.  now if we browse default.aspx we will see:

Hello world from CS. Hello world from VB

and we're done.  so if you have some legacy code (let's say a provider) that is in visual basic and your new project is c# (and you've already had the long heated debates with your team on why you are choosing a language over the other), you can implement this option of using .

now, you can also have multiple pages that have different code-beside languages and that works in this model.  however, if you are using the web application project model, this will not work.  the multiple code files only works inherently (along with codeSubDirectories) with the web site model.

hope this helps.

3/8/2007 12:41 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
nice... but what if your app_code is subdivided into folders already, and in one of those folders you want both .cs and .vb
3/8/2007 9:09 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Good question...only directories immediately under the App_Code folder can have this special attribution...another level deep cannot.
7/11/2007 11:15 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
I have found that even in the Web Application Model, you can add a regular folder named App_Code even though it is not an available through the "Add ASP.NET Folder" menu and it will be a "special" folder. You can then create your CSCode sub folder and use the <codeSubDirectories> configuration in the web.config file and the classes will be available when you build your web application project! This is a great way to bring a couple of classes developed in CS to your VB project when you have to.
9/5/2008 3:37 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Good Article clarifies doubts of many keep it up.....
9/13/2008 3:56 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
No problem using vb and c# in same project. Done it many times in different project for example if i have a control written in vb and want to use it in a c# project it work without any issues and the other way around too. Also done it with class and pages before. Just makes maintenance hard thats all. No real issues if you want to done it.
9/27/2008 4:33 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Yes Dude it works
Thanx
10/28/2008 10:41 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Too bad it no longer works in VS 2008 for new web apps (keeps working with converted VS05 web apps though).
10/28/2008 2:44 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Bill: Web Application Projects don't use the App_Code folder so this trick wouldn't apply to them.
2/8/2009 8:24 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
It works well when u in a website proj(vs2008).But it doesn't work in vs 2008 web app.
compiled fail:
Error 1 A namespace does not directly contain members such as fields or methods D:\Backup\我的文档\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\webAppTest\webAppTest\App_Code\VB\vbClass1.vb 1 1 webAppTest
Any solutions?
2/8/2009 11:18 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Does anyone know how to make this work on Visual Studio 2008 Web Application Projects?
4/18/2009 11:07 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
5/10/2009 12:22 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
thankss...
5/20/2009 4:06 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
it's nice work
5/22/2009 5:58 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
hallo i wish you verry succes operator
6/3/2009 2:22 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Yes, but I'm still having trouble getting my {page}.aspx.vb code to see the code in the c# folder.

The namespace is visible for the VB "Imports", but then the c# methods are not exposed.

Hmmmm
6/5/2009 12:59 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Very nice article. Helped a lot.

Keep cranking!
6/25/2009 8:19 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Hi mate, I know it works but if I want to call SayHelloCS (c# function) from Class2.vb it doesn't work. Pls see my example below:

Public Function SayHelloVB() as string
'--------------------------------------------
'--- Call Class1.cs(C# Class)->SayHelloCS ---
'--- from Class2.vb(VB Class)->SayHelloVB ---
'--------------------------------------------
dim oClass1 as new Class1()
Return oClass1.SayHelloCS()
End Function

Many thanks,
6/25/2009 8:33 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
I have a problem, to add VB.NET pages in C# Project. I am using .NET 2008 version. We migrated this solution from 2003 version. I am facing the following issues on my solution.

1) When I am trying to add new page(VB.NET), It is not showing option to select language. By default is taking C# language and creating aspx,aspx.cs and aspx.designer.cs files.
-- I am doing this, opened new dummy C# solution, I am able to add VB.NET pages, After that I am taking the pages from the solution folder and adding to my solution. -- This way is not correct, Please help me out.
2) When I am trying to Build my application, it is not showing errors of VB.NET at build time, but at runtime I am able to get those errors when I correct those and try again, I am able to get the functionality.
-- But this way is not correct, might be some solution properties I missed.

6/29/2009 5:35 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
I am trying to add third party files in my vb project...but it does not add the files as such...and when i try to add new file into my project it does not show me the option to add c# files.

The only new item i can add is vb files no C# files. Please help

Thanks in advance
7/2/2009 7:26 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
it's nice work . Thank .
7/17/2009 2:19 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
I am grateful to you for this great content.
9/1/2009 7:20 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
thanx Four you
9/25/2009 2:49 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project

This is a great solution that you have written.

10/17/2009 7:12 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
This is a great solution that you have written.
1/9/2010 8:21 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
i will learn c# immediately
1/9/2010 8:39 AM | # sxe
Thanks for man..
1/9/2010 9:06 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Nice article. Thanks...
1/9/2010 9:13 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Nice post, thanks for
1/9/2010 9:46 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
oooo nice sites. Thanks in advance.......
1/9/2010 9:47 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Thank you, we happy we made these shares are
1/9/2010 11:07 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
an article number one thansk
1/11/2010 7:28 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Thank you good site.
1/28/2010 5:28 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
fda thankyo u
2/8/2010 11:02 AM | #
Thanks, Good Example
2/8/2010 11:07 AM | # About Comments Order
I think arrange comments order in descending order(from latest date)
2/22/2010 10:40 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
HI bill!!!
I am developing a vb web application using VS08
My requirement is to use a hyperlink in vb page which should be redirected to cs page How could i do this....?
Plz help..!!!
4/3/2010 11:31 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
thnaks It is reallly workinggg
5/18/2010 11:17 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Thanks a lot man, it is very helpful
1/27/2011 3:30 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Thanks its very nice post
6/2/2011 10:27 PM | #  c# dan vb.nete ge?me
c# dan vb.nete ge?me
2/21/2012 1:29 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
when i run the application it doesn't display "Hello world from CS. Hello world from VB"

i shall write any thing in the default page or what ?? pleas help me !
3/16/2012 2:35 AM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Hi
Nice post, it works! Awsome!
Do you know if you can include any other programing languages as well?
4/15/2012 5:18 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Brilliant! Many thanks.
7/26/2012 9:47 PM | # using c# and vb in the same console application
I have a one method in c#.net class.
That is
class class1
{
public void me()
{
console.write("HELLO");
}
}

This should be consume in vb.net console application, how to work on it.
8/29/2012 9:59 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Hi all,

I want to access one shared method of a "ClassA.vb" from "AppCode" e.g regularFun.vb .... in another Class "ClassB.cs" written in c#[cs] both are placed in same folder "AppCode". But .cs class is placed in Subdirectory and its reference is maintained in web.config also.but i am not able to access it...so please help me out for the same...as early as possible....

4/8/2013 3:35 PM | # re: using c# and vb in the same web project
Tim it worked for me in no time, VS 2010 and folder App_Code. Good thinking.