thanks to mike ormond for prodding me about updating the msdn search sidebar gadget. i had found this issue as well myself when i realized it wasn't working anymore. well, it was because msdn went through a redesign and their urls changed...so much for scraping :-)
well, i updated mine and i'm sure nikhil is swamped and may not have a chance to update his (and i didn't want to redist his code, but here's what i did).
on mine you can just download the new one here: MSDN Search Sidebar Gadget
when i say "mine" it is just a basic typical gadget. nikhil's was written using his Script# which is fantastically awesome. he also has some UI updates. which one is better? they both yield the same result...i actually use nikhils because his UI is better...i'm merely updating mine here for the masses (same download link).
on to nikhil's changes required. if you want to just update the currently installed one, go to C:\Users\<youruserid>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets and look for the installation point. on my machine it is called "MSDNSearch.gadget" and open that folder. in there you will find an MSDNGadget.js file. go to line 26 and change:
boom, then you are done. if you want to modify the script# project, then open the MSDNSearch.cs file and make the same change to the SearchUrlFormat private string on line 13. then you can recompile and all is well.
hope this helps...and thanks for the nudge mike!