[As featured in LifeHacker -- welcome LifeHacker visitors!]

You’ve likely reached this page as a result of a search or a referral.  This page contains the most current links to download the Foxit PDF Preview Handler for Windows Vista, Office 2007 and Windows XP.

The Foxit PDF Preview Handler is a piece of software written by myself with sponsorship from Foxit Software (providing the license so that we all can enjoy).  Special thanks to Ryan Gregg for help with the Windows XP version.  These preview handlers are a part of Microsoft Windows Vista in the operating system as well as in Outlook 2007.

For example, in Outlook 2007, if you receive an attachment that is a PDF you can click it and get a preview of that document right within Outlook without having to open the document in another program.  It is an extremely helpful feature of Outlook that I love and why I wrote this handler for PDFs.  Microsoft did not provide a default one for PDFs as a part of Outlook or Vista.  If you install Adobe Acrobat 8.1+ you will get one as well.  However, I am not a fan of Acrobat Reader as I think it is a slow application for what I use PDFs for – reading only.  For this I prefer Foxit Reader as it is super light-weight and fast.

You can read more about it here.

To download:

This is free software available for you to use.  It is not supported by Foxit Software, but supported by me.  If you find issues, please let me know.

5/29/2008 6:59 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

I installed the Foxit PDF Preview Handler running Vista Ultimate x64 German.

I get the preview in Outlook all right, but shouldn't there also be a preview in the Windows explorer? Still I can't get this to work.

Du you have any suggestions?

Regards,

Robert
5/29/2008 7:40 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
@Robert: You have to ensure you have that feature turned on. When viewing folders in Windows Explorer, choose the Organize menu option and there is a sub menu for Layout -- the preview pane option is there.
5/29/2008 8:53 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim, thank you.

Meanwhile, I realized that I have to clearify myself.

Preview of pdf-files in Windows Explorer works perfectly. But what I'm still missing are those Explorer icons, showing a preview of the first page of a pdf document.

Do you even have a solution for that?

Robert
5/29/2008 8:59 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
@Robert: Thanks for clarifying. The preview handler model has nothing to do with that functionality. I think if you had a PDF client installed it might generate that but to be honest I don't know what controls that.
5/29/2008 9:05 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Allright, and thanks again. Great program.

Robert
7/14/2008 10:13 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hi Tim -

Thanks for the Foxit PDF Preview Handler; it's just what I was looking for! (I already use Foxit Reader/Creator/Editor, and I avoid the Adobe Reader-and-Acrobat products.)

In their latest release, Foxit has enabled users to specify that the Bookmark pane should always be hidden. Is it possible to do the same with the preview handler??

Thanks again for the product.

- Jeff
7/24/2008 11:14 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim
This is the best thing sense the wheel!

It allows me to remove some junk software from every one of my machines and it works perfectly.

I'm in your debt

Mike
10/1/2008 10:40 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I have win2k3. which version should I install?
10/1/2008 10:43 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
bullman: you should install the Windows XP version
10/11/2008 1:41 AM | # Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hello,

I'm french and i speak a little bit english. I send this mail 'cause i'd like to download Foxit PDF Preview Handler for Windows Vista and i don't know how to do. When i want to download it, i can read this page "www.box.net/index.php" and i can't download. Can you answer to this mail and join it the add-on ?
My email is : guillaumebossoutrot37@orange.fr
Thank you for your answer.
Goodbye
10/11/2008 9:19 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Guillaume: Sorry for the box.net problems, here are some alternate links
timheuer.com/.../14001.aspx#9409
11/13/2008 10:46 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hello Tim, delete / removed yesterday Foxit from my Vista based on some problems but last file-software I can't remove which is named Foxit PDF Preview Handler. I always get error code. Is there a chance to get some support from your site.
11/18/2008 2:41 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hello! I installed the XP version but no preview in Windows Explorer :( I don't have Outlook 2007.

Can you help me? Thanks in advance.

Michael
11/18/2008 2:45 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Michael: XP doesn't have a Windows Explorer preview option. That feature is only in Vista. And what I mean by that is the Explorer preview capabilities are only in Vista, it has nothing to do with the PDF previewer.
11/18/2008 3:34 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Sorry! I wrote preview instead of thumbnail view of Windows Explorer :)
11/18/2008 3:35 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Michael: Thumbnail viewing also is not a feature of the preview handler functionality, but rather the operating system. Sorry.
12/6/2008 10:54 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hello Tim,

I want to develop a little tool that could replace vista's original txt Preview tool,but I don't know anything about how to embed my program into Explorer.

What's More. If possible, I want to interact with office's Preview tools.

Could you give me some materials related? Or some suggestions on how to get them.
Thank you.

Regards,
Zhang Zhe

mailto:bleastrind@gmail.com
12/7/2008 2:20 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Zhang: Take a look at the Office developer center (msdn.microsoft.com/office) for pointers on how to extend the preview handlers, etc.
12/7/2008 10:12 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thank you very much.
1/15/2009 2:54 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Nice one. I own Acrobat 7, and refuse to upgrade because Adobe is even more rapacious than Microsoft in its charging policy. (I can get the whole Office suite for less than the price of an Acrobat upgrade.)

One suggestion, why not add your web address to LicReadme.rtf? I know it is easy to work out, but if you want traffic, the address might help.

Once again, thanks.
1/19/2009 10:41 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

I'm having a problem getting this to work in Windows 7 Beta - 64-bit. I've installed the Foxit PDF Reader, and your Preview Handler for Vista from the link above. Everything installs but I get "This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer: Foxit PDF Preview Handler" in Outlook 2007. Double clicking the attachment opens it successfully in the Foxit PDF Reader.

I was previously trying to get this to work in Adobe Reader 9 with the same result. I completely uninstalled it and restarted before trying Foxit.

Any ideas? Support sites I've seen seem to suggest your previewer works fine in Windows x64, where Adobe doesn't.
1/19/2009 11:19 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
GreyBat this was also reported to me this morning by another user. I'm investigating and will report back here any update/fix.
1/28/2009 6:31 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
This works beautifully in Vista (both Windows Explorer and Outlook 2007). Thank you so much!
1/29/2009 3:05 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

really great! Vista Ultimate 64 + Office 2007 works fine!
no chance for preview with Adobe Acrobat 9.0 before...

One question: Ist there a solution for starting always
directly in the "show hole page" modus?

Thanks a lot
Tom

2/10/2009 7:03 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

Works great with Vista Ultimate x64 and Outlook 2007.

However I've moved to Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and is not possible to use the Preview Handler.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Carlos.
2/13/2009 9:36 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Just a quick note to feedback a little error in the 'FoxitPdfPreviewHandlerSetup_1_1.msi' installer when you try to repair in Vista 64 SP1 it errors not able to find 'FoxitPdfPreviewHandlerSetup.msi'.

A simple rename of the installer taking out '_1_1' makes it work.

Thanks for this neat Outlook addon
2/14/2009 10:25 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
On a whim (based on XP drivers working in Windows 7 beta) I installed the XP version of the PDF viewer on Windows 7 Beta 64bit and it works fine in Outlook 2007 and in Windows Explorer!
2/14/2009 10:31 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Jeramy this should work yes, but will be inefficient instead of using the built-in mechanism from Vista/Win7. I'm still trying to figure out some reasons why the Vista version isn't working in Win7 though.
2/14/2009 10:40 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Naturally if this is not using the the Native functionality then a Proper version would be great but... in initial use the XP plugin is super snappy (fast) and no crashes so far... naturally I'll report if I encounter any problems.

Are there any potential problems you can see from using the XP version on 7 beta?
2/18/2009 8:05 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

I tried both, Code Preview and Foxit previewer on Win7 64 with Office.2007 but I get message saying that and error occured in the previewer...

I used the Vista version, seeing as Win 7 and vista have same codebase.
2/18/2009 8:41 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Cobus I've discovered the same behavior with Win7 as well and am investigating with the team.
2/26/2009 9:00 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
2/26/2009 10:03 AM | # Memory and resource leak

Thanks a lot for this cool project. I really appreciate your managed PreviewHandler for PDF documents.

Hosting it in a managed application written by myself I am experiencing a significant memory and resource leak. This is caused by the fact that the class PreviewHandler (taken from the framework provided by Microsoft) does neither implement the IDisposable interface nor have a Finalizer.

If you add the following lines of code this problem should be fixed.

Nikas

public abstract class PreviewHandler : IPreviewHandler, IPreviewHandlerVisuals, IOleWindow, IObjectWithSite, IDisposable // IDisposable added here
{
~PreviewHandler()
{
this.Dispose(false);
}

public void Dispose()
{
this.Dispose(true);
}

protected virtual void Dispose(bool disposing)
{
if (disposing)
{
if (_previewControl != null)
{
try { _previewControl.Dispose(); } catch { }
_previewControl = null;
}
if (_frame != null)
{
Marshal.FinalReleaseComObject(_frame);
_frame = null;
}
}
}
3/10/2009 12:40 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
This is something I had really missed in Outlook before.
Did you resolve the Windows 7 issue in the meantime - would be fantastic!!!

Thanks!
3/10/2009 8:35 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Charles I've got confirmed reports of it working on Windows 7 32-bit, but also have confirmed it does not work on Windows 7 64-bit. I'm trying to work through the issues now, but am also trying to get a release of the product I work on out the door :-). I'll update my blog with details when I have them (subscribe to http://feeds.timheuer.com/timheuer)
3/10/2009 6:17 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

Hi Tim

I've been using you PDF preview handler for quite some time now, and I really appreciate it, great job.

Just wondering if you've considered creating something similar for Visual Studio Team system. If when you look at a work item with a PDF attachment, you'll have to download the attachment to view it. Having your previewer would be pretty awesome feature.

Just a thought,

Soren
3/17/2009 12:59 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hi. I'm running Windows 7 x64 and the preview handler does not work, as you said. If I can help in any way with debugging, drop me an e-mail, I'd be glad to help.
3/26/2009 8:14 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
#
2/26/2009 4:03 AM | # Outlook Crash
The previewer's great, but I do have this problem frequently wherein Outlook 2007 (on Win XP Pro SP2) crashes when I delete an email with a PDF attachment which is currently open for preview in the reading pane. Outlook hangs in this situation and I need to restart it. This happens with some attachments and not others, so maybe there's something in these particular PDF files which is causing this behaviour. Anyway, it would be great if you can find a fix for this!

#
timheuer
2/26/2009 9:00 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

Any luck with this issue. Otherwise very happy!
3/26/2009 9:12 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Great!
Thanks! WIth Vista Business 32bit Italian works great!
Regards
3/26/2009 11:15 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Bmer -- no fixes for this.
3/30/2009 1:28 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 7057 and Foxit PDF Preview Handler doesn't work in windows explorer, either the Vista version or the XP version. So do you have any solution for that?
Thank you!
Regards, Victor
3/30/2009 5:54 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Sorry, the problem doesn't exist now and the software works very well now. Thank you!
3/30/2009 7:30 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Victor, if you did an upgrade while the previewer was installed, yes it won't work -- we discovered a bug in Windows7. It's been fixed, but you have to uninstall the previewer and re-install and it will work. This is only with builds 7048 and higher though.
3/31/2009 2:40 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hello. I had Adobe Acrobat 8 Standard but could not use the PDF preview in Outlook 2007. I downloaded the Foxit Reader and installed it as the default reader. It opens pdf files, but the pdf preview feature in Outlook 2007 still doesn't work. Any suggestions appreciated.
Rgds,
Rick
3/31/2009 3:07 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Rick -- Foxit previewer and the Foxit reader are two different software products. Installing Foxit Reader does not give you the previewer -- you'll need to install the previewer from this site.
4/8/2009 2:18 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
pretty amazing that this is pretty much the only option out there to preview PDF's, is for sure the most popular and yet even with Foxit's name attached to it there is not a single mention of it on their site...what a supreme lack of judgement on their site - if millions of people are searching for this add-in and can't find it on the site that bears its name, they are most likely pissing off people like myself that think they are only trying to push their other software with moneymaking crap like the ASK toolbar...if this previewer was on their site i'd give them props and look at their other products closer...as it is, i only praise you for your hard work and giving us something Microsoft and Adobe both dropped the ball on...

jared
4/8/2009 2:33 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Jared -- thanks for the note. This was a collaboration between Foxit and myself. I never asked them for it to be listed at all. And to be fair, Adobe actually has a previewer as well...been included in their installer since Acrobat 8.
4/8/2009 7:53 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hi! I'm currently testing this handler under Vista x64 and so far so good except for one little thing, the program is unable to preview scanned documents that have underwent OCR text recognition using "searchable image" as PDF output style (tried with Acrobat 9), the reader toolbar shows up fine inside the preview panel but all the pages appear "empty". Current workaround consists of using a different output style in the OCR recognition options, either "searchable image (exact)" or "ClearScan".

Regards.
4/8/2009 8:38 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Follow up from my previous report: another workaround to the above problem is to convert the document to PDF version 1.3 (Acrobat 4.x) at the expense of increased file size (less efficient image compression algorithm). Consider this as a last resort option in case you have lost the original scanned PDF.
4/8/2009 9:46 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Further follow up: after some more testing, I've found that there's no need to change the OCR recognition output style ("searchable image (exact)" mode doesn't always result in a previewable document anyway) and there's no need to downgrade the PDF file version either.
The root of the problem (as implied in the previous message) resides in the compression algorithm used for monochrome images. Apparently, the FoxIt preview handler doesn't understand the JBIG2 algorithm available in newer Acrobat versions (starting with 5.x), so as long as you select a different compression scheme such as CCITT Group 4 you're good to go (this option is available in the Advanced->PDF Optimizer menu of Acrobat 9).
4/9/2009 6:00 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Final followup: Well, just noticed that JBIG2 support is available in the form of a "critical add-on" in Foxit Reader, unfortunately I can't figure out a way to implement this feature in your preview handler as they are independent from each other. Is there any possibility to release a new version that does JBIG2 decompression? The add-on in question is available for download here: www.foxitsoftware.com/.../addons.htm#critical
4/23/2009 8:30 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
thanks tim,

works great on vista finally!!! ;-)

best regards

Liran
4/24/2009 2:56 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I'm working with Win7 EN build 7077, Outlook 2007 Pro SP1 MSO, Foxit Reader 3.0 Build 1506 and TimHeuer.FoxitPdfPreviewHandler.dll version 1.1.0.1, rev. {50B281AC-C551-43BE-912F-A692C7914F89} (latest download I found). The preview doesn't work in this configuration although in an earlier post you wrote:

"It's been fixed, but you have to uninstall the previewer and re-install and it will work. This is only with builds 7048 and higher though."

Regards,
Don
4/24/2009 1:45 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Don -- where did you get your build of Windows 7? Since the beta (7000) is the only public build, I'm curious.

Aside from that if you had it on your machine before you installed Win7, it will not work. You need to uninstall/re-install it to register the appropriate settings with Win7. If it isn't working in your Win7 build, I suspect an unsupported build :-).
5/4/2009 7:36 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I have one word: WOW!

This is an amazing software. I can't imagine someone did not think of this before. It is the piece of software I have encountered in a while.

Thanks a lot for sharing,
Berna
5/12/2009 1:16 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Year.... nice. 1 hour later and it worked on my Vista x64 with Adobe Reader 9.1
5/26/2009 1:19 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Nice preview handler. I've got it working on W7 32-bit (RC) now without any problems. I tried Adobe first, but it's too slow and too big. Thanks for this piece of software =)
6/10/2009 1:10 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hi, thanks very much for the previewer. It is great to have an alternative to Adobe.
I noticed one comment on the thread where outlook crashes if you try and delete a mail that has an pdf attachment open in the previewer. I have experienced another scenario which causes outlook to crash in a similar way. If you have a pdf open in the previewer and click on calendar, it does the same. Not a huge problem but does mean you have to remember to close the preview before navigating away from the e-mail list.
6/18/2009 8:33 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Works perfectly.
7/1/2009 8:24 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim, great Job! My compliments! now up to a real 64bit application :)
7/1/2009 2:01 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I'm trying to understand why I cannot have the same option as with Acrobat Reader that is able to display thumbnail view in Windows Explorer in Windows XP
What can I do to have the same ability with Foxit Reader ?
7/1/2009 3:29 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tof - this is a previewer for Outlook 2007/Vista, not a thumbnail viewer, so my software here wouldn't do that. I'm honestly not sure what generates that to be honest. Foxit makes a PDF IFilter that may have something to do with that, but I think it is something a little different.
7/24/2009 11:18 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim:

Could your application be used without outlook and be called from within a window 32 bit exe as a pdf previewer?
7/26/2009 6:00 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim -

Thank you! I recently upgraded to a Vista 64-bit computer and had Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 installed, but if it has a preview handler, it didn't work. I installed your program and it works perfectly. I really needed that preview function for my work, and without you, I wouldn't have it!
7/29/2009 4:21 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I hate to bug you, but for some reason I'm not getting a preview of pdf files in Windows Vista Explorer; however, it works in Outlook. I have the preview pane enabled and can view all other MS Office documents just not pdfs.

Gene
8/3/2009 7:20 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Looks like any PDF that is published from AutoCAD that we make doesn't look right thru the viewer. We're trying to find a good viewer that works on windows xp x64 since the Adobe one doesn't seem to work. if you would like me to send you some of these PDF's for debugging purposes let me know and i'll send them right over. other pdf's seem to work fine, it's just the one's from AutoCAD's DWG to PDF writer, all the backgrounds are black, and the lines, and zooming in seems to doulbe the output, looks weird. thanks!
8/4/2009 7:07 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
ok, thanks for looking into this Tim, but it looks like it was just a bad graphics card driver, i downgraded to an older one and it fixed all my problems, everything works perfect now!
8/5/2009 10:30 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
pdf Preview handler on wIN7 Ultimate RC 64-bit is working fine (sometimes), sometimes showing nothing (Outlook 2007 AND Explorer). I cannot find out why it works sometimes and sometimes not. The pdf-files that are working show up in Outlook and explorer, the others don´t. No clue why. I can send you two examples of files that dont work and some screenshots if you like.
regards Gerhard
8/7/2009 7:57 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Well all i can say is AWSOME! Installed it on my Vista Business pc and it worked right out of the box and is a HUGE time saver. I just wish i hadn't taken so long to find it!
8/11/2009 12:27 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hi Tim
Thanks for this splendid suggestion. It works like a Swiss clock.
8/14/2009 3:16 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Just an absolutely fabulous product! Very well done. What more can I can say? - kudos to all!

I'm running this under W7-RTM 64-bit with 12GB of RAM - and I must that say that working in the "new & improved" Windows Explorer, along with the foxit pdf preview handler is just a pure outright joy to me! Running Windows is fun again -- and really fast and really stable. My document management work-flow has just improved by leaps and bounds!

Again, well done! And Thank you for providing this most wonderful product to all of us! Keep up the **great work** and I'm looking forward to further apps.
8/21/2009 7:33 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I am running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, with the Outlook 2010 Technical Preview.

I cannot get the PDF Previewer to work.
Any suggestions?
8/21/2009 7:40 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Brian -- 64-bit Outlook has a problem with handlers right now. I've been investigating with the team, but if you are running 64-bit Office preview then it will not work.
8/23/2009 11:58 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Brilliant product. Had just gone through setting up my online archive and realised I lost preview in Win7. My only question though is will you be working on an enhancement to allow version 1.6 PDFs to be previewed. I have some in 1.3 and some in 1.6. If I knew a patch was coming I wouldn't have to start downgrading my 1.6 PDFs. Please????
8/24/2009 4:10 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Great job!
Why is Microsoft always delivering some half work, like omitting a pdf previewer?
I now this a rethorical question :-)
Thanks.
Marc.
8/24/2009 6:10 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Just try it and it works perfectly on Windows 7 x64 professional final version
but I didn't try on Outlook 2007...

Thanks a lot for this fine program!
8/27/2009 7:41 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I use Windows Vista.
And after installed the software I have tried to run but I still having troubles.
I have tried to reinstall and to repair it, but still appearing this mesagge in outlook.

This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer:
Foxit PDF Preview Handler
To open this file in its own program, double-click it.
9/1/2009 8:23 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Great app! Feedback: every time Adobe Reader bugs me to do an update (I'm presently using 9.1.3), your app quits working in Outlook (2007 SP2). If I uninstall the Preview Handler and reinstall it, it starts working again...
9/1/2009 8:29 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hi Will, thanks for the note. Adobe Reader installs their own previewer, which is why mine stops working. There can only be one previewer associated with a file extension. Unfortunately, there is no warning given to the user and the "last one in" gets the register...it sucks, but that's the way it is.
9/6/2009 7:48 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Extremely useful! It's work for my windows 7 enterprise x64 bit. Thanks for the great app....
9/9/2009 10:03 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Love the previewer!!! but if you are previewing a pdf in one folder and click on a different folder it locks up outlook. Any Ideas? Win XP Pro & Office 2007 Pro.
9/16/2009 2:43 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
This previewer is fantastic, cheers for all the hard work!

It installed and ran seamlessly without errors in Windows 7 RC 64-bit, although I'm yet to try it in the RTM version.
9/18/2009 10:52 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
This is great, thanks for the app and this site / discussion. I was using Win 7 RC 32bit and everything was fine. We all know that the preview function disappeared in the 64 bit version. Your foxit preview handler fixed that problem in Outlook / Office 2007 but I still can't get a preview in Windows explorer unless I actually click the file. Is there anyway to get preview thumbnails?
9/21/2009 10:08 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Runs great with Outlook 2007 on WIN7 RTM x64.
Happend to install the Outlook Technical Preview x64 (not the x86) version on win7 RTM x64.
"no previewer installed...."
Wanted you to know it. Some work waits for you I guess!
Greetings!
P.S.: the symbols on the desktop never showed the miniatur-pic with pdf on the WIN7 x64. Now they do and I dont know why or what caused this.... Crazy.
But not all files, only a few of them and when I do a copy-paste on the desktop with the file that shows the miniatur-pic the copy only shows the pdf-symbol.
I always thought EDV is logical. Not a bit.... Maybe it is the RTM, before it was the RC. Or it is the Office 2010?
9/21/2009 10:19 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
10/13/2009 3:10 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Outlook 2007 on Vista 64.
Thank you this is great! I hope you are making some money our of it somehow because it's a tremndous piece of free software.
Thanks for making it all easier and more productive.
Now why can't adobe work that out??????
10/13/2009 11:23 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
do you support server 2008 terminal servers with outlook 2007 installed? Im running the 64 bit edition and have outlook published. My users want to be able to preview the pdf attachments.
10/14/2009 8:32 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hello, Tom
Thanks for providing us such a useful tool!
I'd like to know if besides Outolook 2007 it also works for previewing attachments in Windows Live Mail?

Thanks again
10/15/2009 8:09 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

I have just started receiving the following error
"This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer:PDF Preview Handler for Vista. So I did some searching and found your site. I downloaded the Vista Foxit Previewer. I run Vista 64K and Outlook 2007. After successfully installing foxit PDF Preview Handler, I received the following message when trying to view the PDF fil. This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer:Foxit PDF Preview Handler". I cannot even get this file to open or save in either Adobe or Foxit. Any suggestions?
10/15/2009 8:30 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

It is not the file, because I now cannot open previous PDF files that I have opened numerous times.
10/16/2009 3:19 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Jeremy - I've never tried that but as long as it is installed for all users (i've not really tested per-user installations) it should work.

Carlos - I do not believe Windows Live Mail uses the same preview mechanism.
10/26/2009 1:56 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler & PDFextension
I have a related problem: it is impossible for me to associate PDF-files to Foxit, because ".pdf" is not in my Vista list of extensions to be associated with standard programs. As long as I have Adobe Reader installed, the extension is there and can be connected to Foxit, but as soon as I uninstall A.R., the extension is also deleted from the list, and every time I try to open a PDF-file, Vista asks what program I want to open it with. Can you perhaps help me on this item?
10/26/2009 9:19 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Leo -- that is odd. If you reinstall Foxit it should add the associations (it's actually one of the options -- choose custom install to make sure it is selected).
10/27/2009 7:45 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
thanks for your quick reply! It appeared to be a question of "sequence": I had to uninstall both programs first (AR & FR) and THEN install Foxit. Now finally I can find the PDF-extension in my Vista-list, and PDF-files are correctly associated to Foxit. Thanxalot for your assistance on this subject! Now I will install & try your own preview handler. I still have a printing problem with FR, but perhaps I will be able to solve that on the fly...
Leo
10/31/2009 11:11 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Sweet! Just wanted to drop a note of thanks as I just upgraded to Win7 64bit and finding that I couldn't preview PDFs was a major drag. Your plugin works beautifully! You rock! Thank you!
11/4/2009 2:44 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Just wanted to drop a note to say thanks for making this and keeping it free.
11/6/2009 4:03 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

Anything new on the issue below, which was discussed here back in February and again in June?

Thanks for a great product!

- Brent

From Niranjan back in February:

"The previewer's great, but I do have this problem frequently wherein Outlook 2007 (on Win XP Pro SP2) crashes when I delete an email with a PDF attachment which is currently open for preview in the reading pane. Outlook hangs in this situation and I need to restart it."

Your response:

"This is a known issue unfortunately. The preview handler framework basically is opening the file in-memory. The attempts to act on that file while that lock is in place will cause errors...it is a work item that I have not yet fixed."
11/6/2009 4:28 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Brent - still a known issue that I'm not fixing in the short term. Since a work-around exists, please just understand the behavior.
11/8/2009 10:13 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Good job Tim: thank you!
11/8/2009 6:44 PM | # No Uninstall Option in Win7x64

I can't find any uninstall option in "Uninstall or change a program" screen of Window 7 (x64). I remember I saw it there before. How can I uninstall the Foxit PDF previewer?

Ben
11/8/2009 11:48 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Ben you can go to the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel (Or it might be labeled "Uninstall a Program" in the control panel.
11/9/2009 7:37 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

On the list I see all my installed software (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite 4). However there is no software name begins with "Foxit". I also can't find any name with the words "PDF Previewer".

Ben
11/9/2009 7:39 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Ben -- Sorry I have to ask the question then -- are you sure you have it installed? It shows in Add/Remove as "Foxit PDF Preview Handler" with the publisher of "Tim Heuer"
11/9/2009 7:07 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

Yes I installed it some time ago. Later I found it stop working. Then I removed it from the control panel and then reinstalled it. Then it worked for some time. Now I find it stop working again and shows the following message.

PDF Preview Handler for Vista"

I just plan to remove it and reinstall again.

Ben
11/10/2009 4:25 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I downloaded and installed Foxit PDF Preview Handler so I could see previews in Windows Explorer (XP) thumbnail view. It doesn't work. What could I have done wrong?

g
11/17/2009 11:02 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I downloaded the Foxit PDF Preview Handler, but i got a message to say it wouldnt work because there was an error.
do you know what that would be?
thanks
Lyn
11/18/2009 5:35 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thank you very much; it works great with Windows 7 - Ultimate!
Congratulations, Tim!
Do you have any similar ideas too?
Greets,
JL
11/19/2009 12:36 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I also can't seem to find the program in my list of installed programs. I'm using Vista 64-bit and Outlook 2007. This is only an issue when my Outlook stops using the program for some reason (usually after Windows crash), but this is rare. After downloading again and repairing it works fine. Overall, the program is great and I'm glad to have it!
11/21/2009 2:29 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Just installed Office2010 Beta german (W7 ultimate 64Bit)and did a "repair" of foxit preview and it runs with Office2010. Great product thanks.
peter
12/2/2009 7:28 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Just installed it on my win7 32bit laptop and it works perfectly with office2007.
thanks.
12/3/2009 2:44 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I read Peter's comment above, and I just tried doing a repair of the PDF Preview Handler, but it's still not working for me with the 64-bit version of Outlook 2010 (the public beta), on Windows 7 Ultimate (also 64-bit). I get "This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer installed for it.". I love this preview handler, and am willing to help troubleshoot it however I can. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help get it working in Office 2010 / x64. Could it be because I'm not using the 32-bit version of the Office 2010 beta?

Thanks!
12/4/2009 3:37 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim - thank you! Great piece of software. My conf: Vista x32 + Office 2010 Beta. Works perfectly!
12/15/2009 8:13 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim - Thanks for developing the previewer. Running it with XP SP3 and Outlook 2007. I am noticing that Outlook tends to lock up when previewing a PDF. Doesn't happen right away but if you leave the preview up for a little while, try to switch messages or folders it will freeze Outlook. Any updates or fixes?
12/15/2009 8:21 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Joe - none for XP version. Frankly, there is a custom process that is on the XP version that is needed even for it to work (email attachment previews are not native to the operating system in XP like they are in Vista/Windows 7). That custom process is optimized as best I can right now, but there are a few quirks.
12/15/2009 9:17 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Will do, thanks for the quick response Tim.
12/15/2009 1:49 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Installed it for Outlook 2010 Beta, worked without even a re-start of Outlook. Fantastic!
12/17/2009 1:04 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hi, Tim. Thanks again for this!! I've now got a strange issue. On my one machine (Win7Pro-64bit w/Office2010-32bit), it's working perfectly. But on my other machine (Win7Ult-64bit w/Office2010-32bit), I get "This file cannot be previewed because there is no previewer installed for it." This (problem) machine *used* to have the 64-bit version of Office 2010, before I realized that that wasn't going to work with this previewer (nor with WMDC, nor some other things). So, I uninstalled Office 2010 64-bit, installed Office 2010 32-bit, and re-installed the Foxit PDF Preview Handler using the FoxitPdfPreviewHandlerSetup_1_1.msi. No errors or warnings during the installation - it all looks good. In Outlook 2010, I can go to File >> Options >> Trust Center >> Trust Center Settings >> Attachment Handling >> Attachment and Document Previewers, and "Foxit PDF Preview Handler" shows up in the list, and the box is checked. Attachment preview is turned on, and works for other file types (docx, xlsx, etc.). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Foxit preview handler, but no change. I even tried doing that from an Administrator Command Prompt, using msiexec /i, but still no change...

So, everything *looks* perfect, but Outlook 2010 still acts like there's no PDF preview handler loaded...? Apart from uninstall/reinstall/repair, I'm not sure what else to check/try.

Any help greatly appreciated, and many thanks either way!
12/17/2009 3:55 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
YOU ARE THE MAN! What an incredible time saver!!! I'm using it in Windows 7 32 bit. Thank you very much.
12/19/2009 9:04 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Downloaded and installed seamlessly. Works great with my Vista 64-bit & MS Outlook 2007! Thanks!!
12/28/2009 10:07 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hi there

Just a note to say thank you for the nice little viewer - I work with lots of PDF files and the preview in explorer is a huge time saver to me!
12/28/2009 10:25 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I use your preview under windows 7 64 bit. This behavior might be of interest
After Copying fxdecod1.dll to the folder, as instructed, it made the windows explorer preview window work as expected, until a situation arose where when we were opening many files one at time for review purposes and then moving to the next file. After varying number of files the preview would stop working. Closing the explorer window and waiting a short amount of time the preview would again be working when opening a new window, at least for a while. Then close and re-open windows explorer and continue on again. It acts as if an allocation was not refreshing between closing and opening the next an eventually filled up and was unable to produce another preview. Any suggestions
1/5/2010 5:42 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thanks HEAPS!!@!!!!

The software is just what I want, although Abode reader can do kind of do the same, but it's just WAAAAAYYYY TOOOO SLOOOOOWWW on my Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 ...

Many thanks~
1/8/2010 12:59 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

I have used the pdfhandler to perfection with Vista and now have Win 7 64. I downloaded version 1 by mistake and installed. Now i have the correct version for Win7 64 but it will not install becasue it requests that i remove version 1 first. No problem to do that except that version 1 will not uninstall from the control panel. I get an error which reads: "Errow 1001. An exception occured while uninstalling. This exception will be ignored and the uninstall will continue. However, the application might not be fully uninstalled after the uninstall is complete. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. Object reference not set to a instance of an object."

Version one remains in the control and will not be removed. Any thoughts on how I an get verion 1 uninstalled?

1/11/2010 5:50 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
+1 cred to you Tim Heuer. Thankyou.

Installed on Windows 7 Enterprise 64 Bit with Office 2010 Beta 32 Bit.
1/13/2010 12:57 PM | # Can't uninstall / repair Foxit PDF Preview Handler, error 1001

I have the same problem like Robert.

Uninstalling Preview Handler gives error 1001.

Thanks for any suggestion.
1/13/2010 1:21 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tobias/Robert can you launch an elevated command prompt (ensure it is administrator) and run: MsiExec.exe /x {6FE22909-D0D6-4111-ABCE-7F8D986C4A2A}
1/13/2010 2:26 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

thanks for your fast reply.

Finally I solved the proble by renaming FoxitPdfPreviewHandlerSetup_1_1 in FoxitPdfPreviewHandlerSetup. After that I was able to repair the PreviewHandler and after that to uninstall it.

It's a great programm (of course I'm going to install it again). Thank you very much.

1/14/2010 5:41 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

Thanks for the idea. I did run msiexec using elevated command prompt and received the same error.

I have also tried searching thru regedit to for files associated with this viewer to try to find the keys that might be deleted. This did not work either.

Tobias, can you tell me what you did more specifically? What did your rename the file to? Or do you mean you renamed it to anything other then the current name?

Thanks to all for your help. And I already miss using this program, cannot wait to get this fixed.
Robert
1/18/2010 7:27 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thanks for the versions for XP and Vista. The Vista will be installed on our notebook. Can you please also provide a Win2K-compatible version?

Since my 3Ghz-PC has only 768MB RAM (hard to find DDR400 modules that do work), it cannot run Vista or Win7. As Windows XP does not install correctly on this machine, I am now back to Windows 2000 (and I love it). Except for the OS I use it with the newest apps avalaible, such as .NET 3.5, DirectX, Opera 10.1, Foxit Reader 3.14 etcetera .
1/21/2010 5:58 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thank you a million times over for the link and the download. Problem solved. Sort of befuddling that Adobe can't come up with a patch to remedy their own shortcomings communicating with MS.

Are you on PayPal? I'd like to make a donation.

Steve Bachman
1/23/2010 5:58 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hi Tim.

I was using your Foxit PDF Preview Handler as well as your Code Preview Handler with Windows 7 64-bit and Office 2007. Both are totally useful and valued products.

Since I've installed Office 2010 64-bit, I really, really miss the use of your preview handlers. You really don't know how much you like and have come to depend on something until it's not there anymore. :(

Have you had any success into getting your preview handlers to work with 64-bit Outlook yet?

Best regards,
ct
1/24/2010 12:29 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Christopher, I haven't unfortunately. But I have confirmed that Outlook x64 has been fixed to support it :-)
1/28/2010 4:58 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Indi -- my software does not do thumbnails. it is a document previewer, not a thumbnail generator.
2/2/2010 9:45 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

I just downloaded Foxit recently, hearing it was much better than Adobe. I am a college student who is constantly using pdf files. Well, i just test-drove foxit, and it won't work. the pdf page opens, but then Firefox (my main browser) freezes, then i have to close it. there is no real error message.

I am using Windows Vista 32-bit. Firefox 3.5.7. I installed/uninstalled Foxit 3.0, and now have installed Foxit 2.3, and made sure it was the default pdf program. It still does not work. Any help?
2/3/2010 12:31 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
brilliant! thank yo uver ymuck, very smart plugin!
2/5/2010 11:00 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thank you Tim!!! Thank you!
2/9/2010 1:24 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hey Tim, great tool thank you!

However, I did have trouble installing/uninstalling the latest version - "FoxitPdfPreviewHandlerSetup_1_1"

Like Tobias/Robert, when uninstalling i got the error "Error 1001. An exception occured while uninstalling..."

And attempting a Repair I got the "a network error occurred while attempting to read from the file..." error message

I solved this by guessing what Tobias meant when he said "...renaming FoxitPdfPreviewHandlerSetup_1_1 in FoxitPdfPreviewHandlerSetup..."

I likewise renamed the file FoxitPdfPreviewHandlerSetup_1_1.msi to FoxitPdfPreviewHandlerSetup.msi and found that both the uninstall and repair processes worked perfectly therafter.

Just thought you should know.

Cheers

Dean
2/10/2010 7:44 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Just what I was looking for to view PDF docs in Windows Explorer.

Thank you.

Dave
2/11/2010 12:03 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
This is brilliant! Thanks so much. I am looking for something like this for a sharepoint webpart, so users can preview attached pdf's. Is this something you have done also? Any help with this would be massively appreciated.

Tom
2/11/2010 5:30 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Just wanted to thank you for this great little fix. I have banished Adobe from my PC a long time ago and it is nice to finally have a fix for the preview in Windows 7 x64. Found this via link from Leo Davidson via Ed Bott.

fasthair
3/10/2010 7:25 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thank you so much!!!! Very helpfull software!
3/22/2010 2:51 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Well done - works perfectly. Thanks!
3/30/2010 9:38 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

This may have already been addressed above and I just missed it. But i installed your software a while back and everything was great. I must have received an adobe update, because suddenly it wasn't working. I reinstalled and it went fine, but now it is broke again. Any way to not have to reinstall every time i get an update. (I am a Graphic Artist so I have to use Adobe products.) Thanks!
4/1/2010 3:12 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Great help indeed!I did not want to install acrobat reader for it's slow performance as well as unwanted and unknown(behind the scene) issues that used to crop up every now and then. Though windows 7 with office 10 beta work so fine, absence of pdf handler was a minus point which has been addressed by yourself so nicely. I downloaded and installed as per your intructions and it worked like a song.
Thanks again.
4/3/2010 5:44 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I'm trying to open a pdf file, so I got the Foxit reader, but it says "The document is encrypted by some unsupported security handler." What should I do?
4/3/2010 11:04 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
loni -- encrypted or password-protected PDFs will not be able to use this preview handler...you'll have to open the document using a full PDF reader.
4/7/2010 2:30 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler error
Installed this for XP, Outlook 2007 and get the following error message in the preview window. Any guesses?

System.IO.IOException: The file exists.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
at System.IO.Path.GetTempFileName()
at TimHeuer.PreviewHandlers.XP.FormPreviewSurface.LoadFile(String file, STGM fileMode)
4/14/2010 2:07 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
thank you so much!
4/19/2010 9:51 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thank you for developing this plug-in...it's just what the doctor ordered!
4/28/2010 11:06 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Is it possible to use this in conjunction with PDF-XChange? I've been using the previewer for quite a while now, and always worked great. I got tired of adobes updates and decided to uninstall reader and install PDF-XChange instead. Now your preview handler no longer works. Outlook looks for a preview handler form PDF-XChange. I tried re-installing, but no luck. I felt that Foxit's free reader was to buggy for everyday use.

Any help is appreciated. And thank you for this great program.

Eric
4/28/2010 11:46 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Eric -- PDF-XChange installs their own as well. You can only have one handler of a specific type installed.
4/29/2010 4:27 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thanks for the response. I'm sorry to hear that. I much prefer your version over any others that I have tried.

-Eric
4/29/2010 6:56 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

I was happy to see that when i installed the RTM Office 2010 x64 that the Foxit Preview handler just works, i have missed it during the Beta stages.

Tahnks for a great addin.

Duncan
5/3/2010 9:20 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
HRK - the plugin doesn't enable the Save button unless the PDF file is modified. But since it is an attachment, you can just save the attachment. I realize it might be more convenient to have the save button enabled right there, but in the licensed version of Foxit I have for this plugin, it currently does not.
5/4/2010 5:51 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Time, well done dude.
Works fine, Office 2010 Ultimate, Win7x64 Ultimate.
Perfect!!

Thanks heaps and keep coding!
5/26/2010 6:07 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler, Japanese fonts garbled
I am using Foxit PDF Preview Handler in Win 7 ultimate, 32bit and it works fine for most pdf files even if written in Japanese. But in some files, Japanese fonts are garbled in the preview window, though it is completely Ok when opened with Foxit Phantom (ver 2). How can I solve the problem ?

Anyway thank you very much for excellent tool.

Taka
5/27/2010 1:54 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Not sure its very usable yet! It takes over most of the Explorer screen with no way of reducing the size. Also can't find a way to turn the damn thing OFF!
6/8/2010 8:23 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
can you advise if the issue with the compatibility between the handler and Outlook 2010 (64-bit) has been resolved?
7/20/2010 10:15 AM | # Win7, Outlook 2007, works great.
Works great on Win 7 (32 bit), outlook 2007 and Foxit portable.
8/3/2010 12:59 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
works perfectly on Windows 7 x64 professional final version, great program, thanks.
8/5/2010 7:47 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Can the preview handler be running on windows 2008 enterprise 32-bit terminal server?
8/10/2010 10:32 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
robot - ok, I'm asking. Why is it a 'shitty' application specifically?
8/13/2010 7:34 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

The Previewer was working and, but since the last round of updates it has stopped. I am now unable to Repair or Uninstall the application:

Repair errors with: A network error occurred attempto read from file: c:\temp\\foxitpreviewhandlersetup_1_1(1).msi. [Actual file name doesn't have the (1)]

Uninstall error with: Error 1001. An exception occurred. ....Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation --> Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Outlook reports that there is no viewer installed for this type of document.
8/16/2010 5:52 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thank you, the previewer worked perfectly with my outlook. How easy!
8/25/2010 6:48 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thank you very much for your helping!
8/30/2010 11:40 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thank you very much. This is a great help.
9/1/2010 8:09 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Very Nice!
9/3/2010 2:56 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
any way I could access this via VBA so I can use it on my microsoft access forms?
9/16/2010 12:34 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Wonderfull, it works perfect with outlook 2010, and i'm very please and surprised it integrates also with crome.

thks a lot, great job

Alex
10/1/2010 1:57 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hey baddy , good job .\
I got a question. I ve installed this app in office 2010 , but since then i can not copy files by drag and drop to any directory. Is that any frag i have to change?
10/10/2010 7:51 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim -- awesome previewer. Now running under Windows Vista x64 with Outlook 2007. Used to get full toolbar (with printing and other options). Now have no toolbar, only page up and down arrows. Any way to get the toolbar back?
10/13/2010 8:30 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim - This utility is needs to be a standard install on any Windows PC!

My environment : Windows 7 x64 running Office 2010 x64
- Outlook Preview works!
- Explorer Preview works!
11/4/2010 11:42 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

great AddOn. It works for me with Outlook 2010 Plus x64 on Win 7 Pro x64 without any issues. Unfortunately the function "Save/Save as.." is disabled and so it's impossible to save the previewd document directly from the preview handler. But using the Outlook function "Save attached file..." does this job as well (but using the Windows File Open/Save Dialog instead of the Foxit one).
Maybe you have an idea to deal with this - if not - it doesn't really matter :-D

Thanks a lot
DaKing
11/12/2010 7:55 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thanks...

I like it...this is what we call share and care....thanks a ton...
11/16/2010 5:57 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Vista SP2 Office 2007 but no previewer. I use Foxit Reader as my pdf viewer.
Worked like a dream thanks very much.
I too do not appreciate Adobe Reader Bloatware
11/22/2010 1:18 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I like Foxit PDF as an alternative to commercial software. Not everyone can afford license fees. We as a community must work towards promoting free software available to everyone.
Kind regards,
Jessica Miller
things to do in San Francisco.
11/22/2010 9:54 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thanks for Foxit PDF Preview Handler. It is one neat piece of software. I always use it with Outlook to check PDFs from work. It is cool to have a freeware version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. I like your software because it runs fast on my pc.
Regards,
Michelle
things to do when your bored at home.
11/26/2010 1:59 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hello Tim,
Thank you very much for this. I have installed it on Windows 7 x64 and it works beautifully both within Explorer as well as in Outlook 2010. I use Foxit Phantom as my PDF reader and Foxit Editor to edit PDF documents. I find both of these apps to be work really well.
Thanks again and keep up the good work!
Cheers,
Marco
11/26/2010 11:19 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hello, <br />
Foxit PDF Preview Handler rocks.<br />
I use it with Outlook with no problems. <br />
Now all my friends use it at work.<br />
You are THE man.<br />
Thanks for the software,<br />
Mike<br />
things to do in San Francisco.
11/27/2010 3:59 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
You are a talented guy for having developed Foxit PDF Preview Handler. Thanks for making it freeware, I needed an alternative to expensive liscenced software.
Kind regards,
M.Schultz
only god can judge me tattoo.
11/30/2010 8:47 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hello,
Good info in your blog. I will include a part of your post for my university essay about Online Communication Channels. I hope it's fine with you. I'll make sure to include your domain as source.
Kind regards,
Jerry
what to do when your bored.
12/2/2010 3:21 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim - I have used your preview handler extensively ever since switching to Foxit, but I've got an issue that I don't understand and have never obtained a satisfactory answer from Foxit. There are some pdf documents that do not display in your previewer, although if those documents are opened in Foxit Reader, they display fine. The easiest example (if you have Adobe Acrobat) is that any document OCRed with Acrobat will not display in the preview. The same document displays fine if not OCRed. Do you know why this happens and more importantly, is there a solution?
12/7/2010 12:38 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim - Thanks for a great application. Since my shop has decided to go virtual, Virtual PDF readers will not handle previews in Outlook. Your Preview Handler bridges the gap nicely. Well Done!!!
12/8/2010 6:26 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
i am chinese. i just install this one .until now it seems great on my 64 win7 and office 64. i can preview even in explorer. much small than abode. much better than adobe. much fuction than adobe. how great you have done. do you go to release the original 64 bit version? seems not necessary? anyway, you are amazing! good luck!
12/9/2010 10:42 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hi, I got this error in the e-mail window:

This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer:
PDF Preview Handler for Vista
To open this file in its own program, double-click it.

No more error details are provided.
Windows Vista x64 + Outlook 2007.
I tried reinstalling 8.1 update, no success.
Any clue?
Thanks in advance,
Karen of Haunted House Ontario
12/15/2010 2:16 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thanks a lot, man! That's exactly what i needed.
12/22/2010 12:31 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Does your utility work with Outlook 2010? I just upgraded to this version of Outlook and I have found that Acrobat does not support it.
12/31/2010 9:46 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I don't see the "Organize menu option" in Win Explorer? Please advise. I'm trying to preview the pdf's in Win Explorer
1/22/2011 7:43 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Okay, I guess it didn't like my first comment.

As my dynamics teacher was wont to say "Once more with feeling!"

Thanks for providing this previewer to us. I've got it running on a Toshiba netbook on 32bit Win7 starter.

It previews most pdf's just fine but doesn't seem to preview pdf's made with ghostscript or one of it's variants. I've tried both CutePDF and BullZip and the previewer will not display either one.

Are there any free pdf creators that your reviewer works with?

thanks

chris
1/25/2011 10:23 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Dear Tim,

I am using Win 7 x64 with Office 2010 x64 plus foxit phantom and foxit preview handler. The preview handler does not work anymore and when trying to remove it or install a new version, I get an error 1001. What can I do to use the preview handler again?

Best regards
Ingo
2/4/2011 11:12 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

LOVE the foxit preview handler, it is exactly what I was looking for!

I noticed one small issue, however. When previewing pdfs in an explorer window, if I hit print and current page, the current page reflects the last current page I wanted to print, not the actual current page I am viewing. I get around it by clicking current view, then back to current page, which refreshes the view.

I use this a lot printing select pages from data sheets, etc.

Again, great work!

Howard
2/18/2011 12:45 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thanks a lot for this piece of software we've been missing for so long.

Thanks to Tim for the coding and to Foxit for sponsoring it.

It seems to be working perfectly on Win 7 x64's explorer. Great job.

Best regards,

P.J.
3/7/2011 1:49 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
First attempt in Outlook 2010 on Windows 7: works like a charm. Thanks for making this, since Foxit was already my PDF-reader of choice.
3/7/2011 7:58 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler Drag And Drop Broken
Hey all, I also had a problem dragging and dropping pdf files and other attachments from outlook into the file system after installing the add-on for fox-it reader in outlook 2007 on a XP system.

I registered ole32.dll, and that fixed this problem:
Start, run, cmd, then past in the following into the command prompt:
regsvr32.exe ole32.dll

3/11/2011 6:45 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Nice article, i always used other programs like PDF Creator or something, now will be very easy to do this.

John Fisher from consultor de empresas
3/14/2011 5:17 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I have been using your PDF preview handler in Outlook (first 2007, now 2010) for over a year now without issue and have loved every second of not having to open a PDF to see it - thank you! Today, Outlook crashed upon trying to preview a file named resume.pdf. When it reloaded it wouldn't preview the file. It also wouldn't let me open the file or save the file to disc. Clearly something has borked but I don't know where. Okay, one bad file righy? Except the problem that I'm having is I am required to read A LOT of files named resume.pdf and it is having the same issue with any file with that name. Have you encountered this before? Again, thanks!
3/28/2011 1:09 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim - i don't usually comment (much less give praise)... but this is awesome!!!! Great job
3/30/2011 7:11 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
thank you very much, i can preview pdf file in Outlook 2010
3/30/2011 11:43 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thanks Tim, this worked great for me - Outlook 2010 32-bit on Windows Server 2008 64-bit (in workstation mode). Much appreciated.
4/2/2011 6:00 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hi Tim, I've been using Preview Handler for a year and I think it's the best. I work in engineering office and use Foxit to view Architectural and Engineering drawings in 24in x 36in standard sizes. In previewing those drawings, I prefer to see them full page and to be able to do this, I always have to click on the page icon above each and every time I preview a page as there seems to be no option to set it as default. The way Preview Handler is programmed right now, it always cuts the page where the bottom part is not shown. Is there a way you can do something about it?
4/4/2011 10:50 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Hi, Win 7 64 bit, nice!

Thanks!
4/6/2011 12:59 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

a very nice and helpfull tool you designed there. Only I have to reinstall it approx every two days. Runs very unstable in my environment... Can U help? It runs perfectly on my old XP-machine...

WIN7 64bit Office2007
4/10/2011 4:22 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
You wonderful man - how annoying that this just suddenly stopped working. If it wasnt for people like you, Id probably never get anywhere on this bleeping computer of mine - a big thank you from the sunny UK!!
4/12/2011 8:23 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thank you Tim. Awesome software.
4/12/2011 1:10 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thank you!
4/13/2011 8:50 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I installed the XP version. You say that Explorer under XP does *not* have the preview option. How can I then preview a pdf? Thanks.
4/13/2011 1:39 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I use PDF-XChange for my pdf files within Outlook. It looks similarly.
4/21/2011 12:14 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim--

You need a "donation" link. I--and, I expect, many others who have had this problem solved by your software--would happily pay you a few bucks for your time.

In the meantime, thanks!
Pete
5/3/2011 9:19 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
thanks a lot.. it's works well !! :D
5/7/2011 9:46 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
GREAT PIECE OF WARE !!!
And much needed too.
It works like a charm on Windows 7 64 bits.
By the by, the best pair nowadays is definitely:
1- PDF CREATOR to create pdf files from other documents (it emulates a printer)
2- Foxit Reader which is as fast as it gets.
Please put a DONATE button and let us know.
Best regards from Florence, Italy
Lamberto
5/13/2011 12:21 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim, thank you so much for the software. It's utterly amazing to me that this is still the only solution in existence!

I did run into a highly frustrating error, and I'll post it here in case anyone else hits it too. Upon "Repair" (even though it was not installed/working, maybe I had tried to install in the past?) I got the error:

"a network error occurred while attempting to read from the file (my user directory)\downloads\1340c1fc96fe45e5a8b7f113f04efe0d[1].msi"

I have no idea where this file name came from, and it certainly didn't exist. I read some other's comments on here about changing the file name slightly, but I had to change "FoxitPdfPreviewHandlerSetup1_1.msi" to that long nightmare name above. And to make it more fun, I had to type it out, since copy/paste was not available. And then I had to figure out that the microscopic font in the alert box was showing [1] instead of (1), as is the norm in iterative file naming.

Anyway, after that it works great, and my Outlook PDF nightmare is over! Thanks again, Tim.
5/15/2011 2:44 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
WOW!
Excellent!
JUST what I was looking for! Thanks Tim!
6/1/2011 5:38 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
JUST what I was looking for! Thanks Tim!
----------------------------------
John Fisher from pandora canada
6/6/2011 8:54 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Any chance to bundle these and have the installer choose the correct version? I'd like to deploy this out to our network but we run a mix of XP and 7.
6/29/2011 1:27 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thanks a ton buddy. Works absolutely fine with outlook 2010 + Windows 7 64 bit
7/9/2011 9:38 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You,
7/12/2011 6:29 AM | # great work
Thank you for your great program. I wonder if it works with Mozilla Thunderbird as well. :D
8/21/2011 6:09 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Its Great! Excellent Work!
8/25/2011 1:44 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Nice Work Soldier Works perfect !!!
9/5/2011 5:09 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I'm using Window Xp pro sp3, i got the issue like you mentioned before

***********
2/26/2009 9:00 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview HandlerNiranjan - this is a known issue unfortunately. The preview handler framework basically is opening the file in-memory. The attempts to act on that file while that lock is in place will cause errors...it is a work item that I have not yet fixed.
***********

And the outlook has asked to send a report to them, and i did it! After that i close my Microsoft outlook and restart it... And i find out the foxit not working anymore, it showed~

" This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer :
Foxit PDF Preview Handler For XP "

I even uninstall the Foxit previewer and re-install it... but the problem still the same. I try to save the attachement but it's showeed:

"Cannot save the attachment. Cannot create file : incoming_fax_001.pdf. Right-click the folder you want to create file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder. "

Please advise any solution for this problem.

Charles
9/20/2011 4:32 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Felt like i needed to say something also...

Splendid little app. Easy and fast. Works like a charm.

Thanks man. No more annoying adobe errors for me from now on...

PS: I'm using windows 7 and outlook 2010.
10/17/2011 12:05 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
hello
i installed the preview on my system but in doesn't work?!!
am using win7 enterprise 64 bit with outlook 2010 plus
can u help in this issue my email is full of pdf files!
thanks
10/19/2011 6:03 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thank you very much! It works!!!
11/4/2011 2:33 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
It works with my Win 7 (32 bit)
11/14/2011 7:22 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Well, I have been trying to fix this problem all day by going through both windows and adobe help files, and no luck. Just when I was about to give up, I did a search and found your site in the net and downloaded and it works! Thanks for saving me time by enabling the preview pane for pdf files. Really appreciated.

Nes

A faculty member from a Turkish university

11/14/2011 1:21 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thanks Tim, XP version has been installed and work great.
11/16/2011 1:08 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

I need a help. Foxit Pdf preview handler works perfetly on Outlook2007, however I can not preview any document in win7 explorer.

If you coul help me, I would appreciate.
12/2/2011 7:36 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
After trawling for ages I finally found this site and it worked perfectly. Forget all the other regedit fixes, this is the one! Outlook 2010/Windows 7

Thanks for a great fix Tim.
12/22/2011 2:31 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I have been using this program from quite some time, however recenently, it is telling in my preview pain, that "no previewer installed" There was a recent office update. Did this break it?

Office 2010
W7 (32bit)

Also should this be listed in the Add-ons? in Outlook?

I tried a re-install as well.
1/13/2012 9:29 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Was getting fed up with the size and speed of Adobe Reader and had started using Nitro Pro which is far better than Acrobat but does not let you preview PDF in Outlook, Tried the Foxit this morning but did not like the font rendering as much as the Adobe PDF preview. Uninstalled Foxit PDF Preview but then Adobe Reader preview handler would not work. Spent over 6 hours trying to fix it. To cut a long story short it appears that one of the dynamic link libraries had been unregistered by either Adobe or Tim's software. Either way to save someone else wasting as much time as I did here is the fix.

Close Outlook, click ‘Start’ then click ‘Run’ and paste the following two lines (one line at a time, hitting ENTER after each one) into the run box.

Regsvr32 /i ole32.dll
Regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

If you see an ‘invalid entry point’ message (or similar) after the first don’t worry - it should still work!

Open Outlook and see if you can preview your PDF attachment.
1/23/2012 1:26 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler

great software, looks like this doesn't freeze like acrobat reader does.

1 thing, when we use the preview pane in the explorer the preview pane gets the active window.
So when we click on a document, we see the preview. when we rote the page and then press F2, it doesn't do anything. If we select the window again we can press F2 to change the name.

Could we do something against this?
2/5/2012 12:05 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
While I am not computer sufficient all that well which brings me to asking if u are able to assist me? I typed my resume & cover letter on my Dell Studio laptop under the Microsoft word Starter 2010 & then burned them on cd as read only. I then took them to my friend & put the cd in thier drive so that I could print them out on thier desktop in which case they have XP, but the cd when clicked on it was distorted & came up as scrambled in a hydroglyfic type. Is there a way to have the cd read properly?
3/26/2012 9:53 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
HiTim,

I still get the error message after the instal.
Can you advise.

foxit pdf preview handler for XP
to open this file in its own program, double-click it.
4/15/2012 11:30 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Very nice work. Just installed the previewer on Win7 64 with Outlook 2010 64 and Foxit. Works perfectly!
8/20/2012 12:57 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
thank you ! you made the impossible possible !!
10/25/2012 1:38 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Many thanks! Works well.
11/27/2012 4:21 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Tim
Would you like to share how to preView *.PDF file in (metro) Windows8-style Apps?.

1/23/2013 11:04 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I decided to learn Windows 8 this past weekend. I did so on a fresh hard drive. I first reinstalled my backup DVD system recovery disk of Vista Home, made over 4 years ago. Then I upgraded that empty configuration to Windows 8 32-Bit using the new Upgrade DVD for 32-Bit. Then I tried opening any and all my document and file types in the Windows Explorer preview pane. Most work immediately. Obviously the PDF did not work. I searched in Google for the exact error message about "Error in PDF Preview Handler" in quotes. My search resulting in locating your Foxit PDF Preview Handler. I had to then first download and install .Net 2.0. Then after running your handler's nice install program, seeing all my thousands of PDFs is working great!!! I performed a similar installation on my other versions of 32-Bit Windows systems. Great job!!! Thank you for being so smart!!!
3/31/2013 2:28 AM | # Foxit PDF Preview Handler - Windows 8, Outlook 2013 (64 bit)
Thank you. I have been using this solution since Vista!

Folks using Windows 8, Outlook 2013 (64 bit),
This is a solution to your preview in Outlook requirements.

Cannot think why this is not built into Outlook from day 1, should be!

Siôn.
8/5/2013 7:40 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
It worked beautifully.. thanks so much!! You rock dude.
8/16/2013 12:41 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Do you know if this works on Windows 7? I think preview panes are handled a bit differently compared to Vista.
10/25/2013 9:25 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Thanks a lot for great working
11/9/2013 8:40 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
I found this page as I searched for a solution with an issue with the pdf preview handler which araises some day.
We running Win7 here and we get FAX as a pdf document. We have to print this documents, preview alone is not enough.
I discovered, that the combination Outlook 2010 and Adobe Reader XI works on other accounts on this machine, unfortunately not at the account which Needs this functionality. It works for Long time but stops now, maybe some update.
I checked out the registry but here the values were correct.
Now my question: Is this issue solved by editing the registry, but as I wrote above, the simple trich wont work out, cause the values were correct. Or should I install FoxIt, no Problem, no friend of Adobe sind the 1990ties, bt as I wroe above, I immediately Need to print the pdf document.

Thanks for helping

With best regards

Gerhard
11/16/2013 2:16 PM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
@Gerhard - while in preview mode there is a Print button in the toolbar of the previewer that should allow printing.
2/16/2014 7:05 AM | # re: Foxit PDF Preview Handler
Using it on Outlook 2013 on Windows 8.1 64-bit. There are rendering issues with PDFs that contains overlapping images with transparency but it's no deal breaker. Thank you so much.