Last week I had the pleasure of talking with the crew from the Herding Code podcast.  Among the questions was one about the open source community and Silverlight.  There was mention about MVCContrib and how that community sprouted almost instantly with the ASP.NET MVC initial releases.  I let the Herding Code crew know that I believe there already is a vibrant open source community around Silverlight and pointed to things like DevExpress’ AgDataGrid control which is free and provides source.  I also mentioned a project that did start right away around Silverlight 2 initial releases: .  The project, started by Page Brooks, had a good start and keeps on rolling now as they just released a set of free open source Silverlight controls!

The team of Page Brooks, Rob Houweling, Koen Zwikstra, and Shawn Wildermuth have just released “Alpha 2” of the project which includes:

• Color Picker
    • Gauge Control
    • Star Selector
    • Enhanced Metafile (EMF)
    • Cool Menu
    • Libraries: Zip, Byte utilities, String utilities, Simple text parser, Animation Tweening, Wheel Mouse listener

While the project code is hosted at Codeplex, the team also has a blog at SilverlightContrib.org which has a Live Demo page that will show you demonstrations about the controls:

Color Picker:

Cool Menu (OSX style):

Gauge samples:

The code is available with the Ms-Pl license which is very permissive, so go and grab these controls…and better yet…contribute back to the project!!!  There are more than just controls there as I mentioned there are libraries as well – check out the Live Demo for examples.  I haven’t checked to see their compatibility with the Blend designer, but that is something you can tweak with yourself as needed.

Congratulations to Page and the team for a great community resource and a great release.  I look forward to more great things!

10/20/2008 9:49 PM | # re: SilverlightContrib releases Silverlight 2 Controls
Tell them to fix their install page. Clicking on the badge shows the install page. I installed the updated version. Went back to the page and got this:

The requested version of Silverlight is installed:
version Silverlight 2 Beta 2 GDR 1 (2.0.30523.9)

So...I'm not sure why their page isn't showing up. I'd love to see the controls in action though. They look pretty slick.
10/21/2008 5:23 AM | # re: SilverlightContrib releases Silverlight 2 Controls
Hi John,
Sorry, I goofed. I think you are receiving that message because the installer link on the demo page is out of date. We will have an update out there as soon as possible. In the meantime, make sure you have the RTW version of Silverlight 2 installed:

Thanks for letting us know about the issue!
10/21/2008 7:18 AM | # re: SilverlightContrib releases Silverlight 2 Controls
Great controls, thanks !
Will these controls be available under WPF ?
10/21/2008 12:41 PM | # Authentication question

I’m struggling to learn ASP.NET membership just to configure my silverlight application. Do you think it's better to wait for Windows Live ID for the Authentication instead of ASP.net?
Again thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and your fast responses.
Rachida
10/21/2008 12:53 PM | # re: SilverlightContrib releases Silverlight 2 Controls
Rachida: I think ASPNET auth/membership is much easier than Live ID!

Have you seen: silverlight.net/learn/learnvideo.aspx?video=56228 as a start on what is needed to configure ASPNET Auth? I also have a series starting (argh, waiting for content management to update the site) soon and the first covers this a bit more deeply.
10/21/2008 1:02 PM | # re: SilverlightContrib releases Silverlight 2 Controls
Thanks so much, I don't know how I missed this video. I definitely look at it today. Rachida
10/21/2008 2:10 PM | # re: SilverlightContrib releases Silverlight 2 Controls