UPDATED: See last paragraph about offline installation.

Sorry for the short post, this is more of a public service announcement.  When the Silverlight 2 runtime shipped, we shipped the Visual Studio tools along with it.  The tools download was labeled “RC1” and caused some confusion.  There were some reasons for this, but regardless it still targeted the Silverlight 2 release runtime.

Today we released the RTW (Releast To Web for those who are wondering what that means) of the tools.  There is no need to re-download the runtime or anything.  All you need to do is download the RTW bits, and run the installer, then be happy.

So go now and get the official RTW of Silverlight Tools.  Uninstall the previous version in your Control Panel (Add/Remove Programs) before installing this build.

There have been a few comments about installing the Silverlight Tools in either and “offline” mode (not connected to the Internet) or in environments with proxy servers, etc.  Let me try to explain some steps.  The first step in the tools installer is always to download the latest developer runtime for Silverlight.  This requires an Internet connection.  In environments where you might be behind a proxy we’ve seem this step fail as well.  To perform an installation of the tools in either of these situation, you can follow the steps I outlined in a previous post on Silverlight offline installation.  Even though the post is labeled RC0, the steps still apply.  This will help you install the tools.  Even if you already have the developer runtime installed, the tools installer will still attempt to download to ensure the latest is always downloaded.  I hope this helps!

10/28/2008 4:04 PM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW

I didn't see any notice any information on the necessity of uninstalling the "RC1" version of the tools that were released at the time of Silverlight 2 RTM. Is there anything you know of this?

Miguel
10/28/2008 4:48 PM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Miguel: Nope, you can just run the installer and get the updated bits. Just did it myself and worked fine.
10/28/2008 6:10 PM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
This is supposed to be an offline installer but will fail if not able to download the developer runtime (which has already been installed). Is there an option to skip this step?
10/28/2008 7:45 PM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
I just installed the Tools RTW and now I have 2 sets of silverlight controls in my toolbox. only install i've done prior is the silverlight 2 runtime. any suggestions?
10/28/2008 8:01 PM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Hi Tim, I install it but the Version Number still 9.0.30729.143 other than 9.0.30729.145 . What is the problem?
10/28/2008 11:38 PM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Hello,

I download the 72Mb file. I'm trying to install and attempt to download. Is it normal ?
10/29/2008 3:54 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Hi

I have same result as Brian. 2 of everything =( in the silverlight toolbox.

10/29/2008 4:01 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Hi

Just letting you know that i made a right click in the tollbox and selected "Reset Toolbox" and that removed the duplicated controls.

cya
10/29/2008 6:46 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
the page is not working anymore
10/29/2008 9:26 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
_ and Gabriel: I added the information about offline/proxy installation for you in the post.
10/29/2008 9:28 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Jinlian: Crap. Me too -- I'm uninstalling/re-installing. Apologies...I would have thought our installer does that, but do a quick rip/replace.
10/29/2008 6:26 PM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
can't seem to download silverlight. I mainly use firefox but every thing i try, just want work. please help.....
10/29/2008 6:35 PM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
I had already ran the update before reading your post.
Noticed I still had version 143 on VS2008 Pro.
Uninstalled it just now and re-installed from the link above.
(Admin on Vista...)
Still have version 143 showing in the VS2008 About box.
It should have taken me to 146, correct?
Salute,
Mark Wisecarver
MSITUsability Technical Evangelist
10/29/2008 9:47 PM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
buzz: Are you not able to download anything?

MarkW: Sigh, yes it looks like we are *again* having worldwide caching issues (caching is good sometimes, but frustrating in times like this). I should have waited myself to ensure the updated bits replicated over a few days. You are correct in assuming the version number should update to .146 -- can you give it 24-48 more hours? Rest assured, .143 is essentially the same...the newer bits add some non-US stuff, but no added features, etc.
10/29/2008 11:42 PM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW

Is the caching why the link above is dead?

brings me to a "page not found" with a search entry for a forum entry that also contains the link it points to I guess.

Ray
10/29/2008 11:54 PM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
@timheuer

The "Silverlight Tools for Visual Studio installer" is not available anymore. It's include in VS2008 SP1 (I suppose). The SP1 is install on this PC. I tried your method but still try to attempt to download.
10/30/2008 12:14 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
And I have an old version 1.x (not a beta) of Silverlight but I can't remove it. There is no tools like this (for .NET Framework) blogs.msdn.com/.../502439.aspx but for Silverlight ? :)
10/30/2008 12:32 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
I removed the old installation with this procedure blogs.msdn.com/.../...ilverlight-installation.aspx, I installed the runtime. Now, I'd like to install Silverlight_Tools.exe help needed :)
10/30/2008 4:38 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Unfortunately, the link does not work!
10/30/2008 5:48 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
It does work now and update to the right version
I have installed it
10/30/2008 7:14 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
The link to Silverlight Tools RTW installer on microsoft.com is broken.

I went to the link you provided(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=129043) and click 'Download' and the browser navigates to
download.microsoft.com/.../Silverlight_Tools.exe

But it shows 'page not found'

Am I the only one having this problem ?
10/30/2008 7:23 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Ray/Andrew: I just tried the link and it worked for me. It could be a replication issue on the servers. We tried to kill the cache problem yesterday and re-upload a new one.
10/30/2008 7:26 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Gabriel: This is not true. It is not in VS 2008 SP1. SP1 is required to install it, but it is not included. It sounds like the one step you are missing is to download the developer runtime as well and put it in the extracted folder. Again this is ONLY needed for offline/proxy issues installations.
10/30/2008 7:26 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW

Meanwhile, can you please post somewhere the installer until the cache problem is fixed ?
I've just removed the old version and now I can't download the new one and I need to continue to work on the project today.
10/30/2008 7:28 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Andrew: I just downloaded it myself from a hotel network so it should be working again. Unfortunately for legal/license reasons I can't post it other places.
10/30/2008 7:39 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
The problem still persists and I am not the only one http://silverlight.net/forums/t/44096.aspx
10/30/2008 7:43 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
You are right Tim that's work :) Thanks,
10/30/2008 9:04 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Dead Link!!!!! Wish I hadn't already uninstalled the previous versions. Like "Flounder", I screwed up. I trusted ya (Microsoft) ;)
10/30/2008 9:11 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
mbrookefield: ARGH! I've decided I hate our server download deployment system. Sorry guys (and gals). Install the previous version you had if you still have it. We're working on getting the link working.
10/30/2008 10:42 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Yeay! Got it. Just have to keep trying I guess?!?!
10/30/2008 10:58 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
@ mbrookfield

Me too. The download link worked on the fifth try.
10/30/2008 12:19 PM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
The blog post listed above has a post from Amy Dullard with this link:

www.dullardsonline.com/.../Silverlight_Tools.exe

and this explanation:

"
I took the ENU download and details page down last night around midnight PST because we were having trouble with the server caching the RC (.143). I re-published around 12:30. It should have propogated to all servers within an hour, but there is a problem and I am contacting our download center about it.

Since some servers do have the update, for the time being, I would recommend making multiple attempts to download and hopefully you will hit a working server. The direct download is: download.microsoft.com/.../Silverlight_Tools.exe

or contact me directly at amdullar at microsoft.com if you continue to have problems (or check out the link listed on my bio on this site)
"

source: http://silverlight.net/forums/t/44096.aspx
10/30/2008 5:13 PM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Silverlight link does not work on either IE7 and Firefox
10/31/2008 2:14 PM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Just got a Halloween surprise.
Thought I'd try it again...Success!
------------------------------------
Microsoft Silverlight Projects 2008
Version 9.0.30729.146
------------------------------------
Salute,
Mark Wisecarver
11/3/2008 2:41 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Thanks for a nice addition to a already fine product! However, i am running into trouble when trying to show *any* data using the chart. After checking other Silverligh Toolkit Chart examples on the web, i found that ALL of them fails when trying to display data. I get the error: "Unhandled Error in Silverlight 2 Application Code: 4004". I tried on several different computers, and both IE and Firefox. Any ideas?
11/3/2008 8:39 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Rasmus: I'm assuming you're referring to the Toolkit. Are you accessing services but browsing by file scheme? You can reach out to the control team here http://silverlight.net/forums/35.aspx
12/1/2008 7:07 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
hello everyone i am new to silverlight,
i am facing an issue,
i have to install the Silverlight_Tools RTW regularly why is it so,
thanks in advance.
12/1/2008 7:55 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
Bharat: what do you mean you have to install it regularly?
12/2/2008 12:26 AM | # re: Silverlight Tools RTW
thanks for the reply,
but i dont know why, i have to uninstall the tools and again install it.
Otherwise it throws error i dont remember the error but i will surely post that error next time.