I’m sure you’ve heard of the IIS7 Smooth Streaming information and perhaps even experienced it if you watched some of the NBC Olympics streams last year or the Presidential Inauguration this past January.  It’s a great experience for online media being able to seamlessly deliver quality media online without constant buffering when latency occurs in networks you don’t control, such as your customers’ ISP accounts.

You may have wanted to try out this experience yourself to see exactly what it does and how it works…as well as to simulate bad/good bandwidth.  Well, you can.  Here’s what you do:

1. Ensure you have an IIS7 environment
  2. Download and install the Web Platform Installer which is an easy way to pick the package and have it (and any dependencies) installed for you
  3. Download the sample content (Big Buck Bunny – an digital cartoon rendered in various bitrates to simulate the experience).
  4. Download the UX Simulator player starter kit (this is the player shown below to simulate the experience)

Once you have all that installed and working, the sample content also installs a UX Simulator application which is a Silverlight application that uses one of the Expression Encoder player templates and also adds some nice features to simulate latent/changing network bandwidth speeds.

NOTE: If you don’t have access to a server and want to try out this simulator yourself you can visit http://www.iis.net/media to see it live.

Here’s a screenshot of my session running.  The graph below shows what bitrate is being delivered.  Notice the marks where I indicate where I was seeking the media.  It drops down to that the user doesn’t get the dreaded buffering pause, but still continues immediately and then scales back to the highest quality media it can deliver.  The slider on the top right allow you to simulate a drop/increase in available bandwidth:

Smooth Streaming UX Simulator

Try this out if you are interested.  It’s a very high quality sample content, but you can also try out the UX Simulator on your own content if you use Expression Encoder and choose the adaptive profile to generate the Smooth Streaming files.  Watching the content via this simulator is a very cool experience to see it happen as it really does seamlessly change bitrates without impact to the user and without using a new stream.

3/18/2009 4:37 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Is there a hosted version anywhere? Seems a little much to have to set up a full webdev stack just to see a demo.
3/18/2009 6:27 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Check http://www.smoothhd.com/ for web demo
3/21/2009 10:27 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Tim, I assume this is like "dual-threshold buffering" where when the buffer is full you set the buffer high and when it is low or out you set the buffer to a low value. With that said, is all of this handled on the server-side for you? If so, HOT!
3/21/2009 12:50 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Hey John -- this is truly HOT. Especially when you have the highest quality content, it really is visible to see (the bunny video is really good). The gory details of the architecture are here: alexzambelli.com/.../smooth-streaming-architecture, but it isn't like other similar attempts at this concept of MBR streaming. Historically when this is done other solutions see that they can deliver a higher quality stream and *switch* the stream. This is not how smooth streaming works as it is a constant stream and higher/lower fragments are brought in by the requestor. It's some voodo for sure, but the end result really is a great customer experience for the viewer.
3/21/2009 3:27 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
That post is intense with data. lol. I skimmed and it looks like you can use the SMIL (great it is a smil) to select a stream then the server handles bandwidth management by sending the proper fragements at an adjusted size according to available bandwidth. That's HOT!

So, all of this works from inside IIS7? I'm going to have to play with it when I get a sec.
3/21/2009 4:20 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Yes, this all works within IIS7 (with the media pack add-on -- which is free). It's wicked simple.
3/27/2009 5:50 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Does the IIS 7 smooth streaming work with any h264 file or only files transcoded through expression? It is currently my understanding that I can only use smooth streaming with files encoded through expression if this is the case is there way to just insert the needed data (i don't know what this is) into an existing h264 mpeg4 instead having to retranscode it?
3/28/2009 4:45 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Where can I get the source code for the UX Simulator?
5/4/2009 4:29 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
It would be great if we could have a look at the source code for this sample.

5/4/2009 7:06 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Fernando they are looking into doing that.
6/12/2009 4:25 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Hello,
can please you tell me from where i get get source code for UX Simulator.I purchsed the expression encoder . But i have backglass and some other templets but not UXSimulator. I want to customise the UX simulator according to my requirement. Please Help
7/8/2009 8:57 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator

Since I was reall interested in smooth streaming, I spent the last couple of days upgrading our server to Windows 2008 and configuring IIS 7 for smooth streaming, then I followed the instructions to install Big_Buck_Bunny video, and configuring the client to stream that video. When I tried to run it first time, it just hung there with no display. After using Fiddler I figured that I should add the .ism and .ismc to the mime files, choosing text/xml as the mimetype. The problem now is I can see the .ism file being downloaded but immediately I get and AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR, though I know just using .mpg file works fine, when modifying the player to disable adaptive streaming. By the way, the video I encoded using expression encoder behaves the same way.
The Client issues no requests to the server after the .ism file is downloaded from the server, prompting me to compare the .ism file downloaded from SmoothHD to the one downloaded from our server, it seems like the content of the Manifest from SmoothHD is more similar to the .ismc file.
I can give you a link to the server that shows the problem if you have the time to help me out.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
8/24/2009 5:11 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Hello Tim,

Can you suggest me any location from where I can get some sample contents for Expression Encoder 3 Template.

Thanks in Advance , Akshay
8/25/2009 8:10 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Akshay - the source for the Expression Encoder templates is installed with the product. Look in the templates folder and you'll see a folder called 'Source' with each template.
8/25/2009 3:04 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Is there a way to adapt the UX Simulator to play different content? I would like to test content that we have encoded.
8/25/2009 3:28 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Rod -- the simulator template is now included in the Expression Encoder 3 bits.
8/26/2009 8:01 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
I just purchased yesterday and I see several templates just not any that are simulators???
8/26/2009 8:12 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Rod - if you bought the full Expression Encoder 3, the template is the one labeled 'Smooth Streaming Graphing Player'
8/31/2009 11:44 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Do you know of any hosting providers with IIS7 and Media Services installed? (Looking for a place that can host smooth streaming video content) Thanks!
8/31/2009 12:11 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Allen - great question I've been trying to find out as well -- will post when I have an answer!
9/1/2009 5:15 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Just uploaded Encoder 3 and with the defult template it shows the graph with not only red and green but also yellow and blue. What does the yellow and blue on the graph show? Sample is here: silverlight.sailrite.com/.../default.html
Eric
9/2/2009 11:02 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Hi Eric...
Green = frame-rate
Red – now playing bitrate
Blue – now downloading bitrate
Orange – measured bandwidth
10/26/2009 5:54 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator

I am using Expression Encoder 3 and wpf to encode a file using using c#. I am able to encode a file when a user uploads a video and it stores it to a local directory. Can you tell me how to publish the encoded video directly to a playlist for smooth streaming (programatically in c#) rather than to a local file. Can you show me some links or examples.
12/18/2009 1:49 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Hi, Do anyone know of any hosting providers with IIS7 and Media Services installed?
2/11/2010 2:39 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator

I have been able to upload a wmv to Azure and play it from a video test page in my Silverlight application on another website (not Azure). I have also used Expression Encoder to create a 3 part smooth streaming encoding of the same video using one of the IIS Smooth Streaming presets for Silverlight. This is where I am stuck:

-Which file do put int the url for Silverlight to start the stream (what should the url look like)?
-Does the Silverlight app with the player have to be on Azure, or can it be on a different site?

Thanks for the post...

Roger
2/11/2010 2:43 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Shawn -- DiscountASP.net now has support for IIS Smooth Streaming.

Roger -- Azure doesn't support Smooth Streaming right now, so your generated Smooth Streaming files would need to be put on a place that supports that (an IIS7 server with the feature enabled). Once you have that, the URL is to the .ism file with an appendix at the end. if your file was foo.ism, then the URI would be /some/path/to/where/it/is/foo.ism/Manifest.

The player can be wherever you want, but if not on the same domain, then the place where the media is has to have a policy file to enable the requests.
2/11/2010 10:29 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Ouch, ok. I missed that part. Will Azure support smooth streaming in the near future?

Even just hosting the WMV files (not smooth streaming), I am doing something wrong. The urls that CloudBerry generate for me (they worked earlier today) seem to expire or stop working. I have not found any docs, or a blog post to help me figure out how to build permanent urls.

Thanks Tim!
2/12/2010 7:09 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Roger -- I'm not sure why the azure URLs you have would stop working. You have to make sure the URLs are public for everyone. If your blob storage was "foo" and you had an object called me.wmv in a container 'bar' it would be something like foo.blob.windows.net/bar/me.wmv
2/12/2010 10:53 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Yes, that was it. The container was not public. I don't see how to set that with CloudBerry, so I used Cloud Storage Studio.

Thanks again Tim!
4/18/2010 1:11 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
in EE 3 I see there is a smooth streaming graphing player template. Do you know off hand what the lines represent?
Thanks.
John
4/18/2010 1:36 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
I had one other question.. in the UX SImulator template you show and can download. Can I import this into EE 3 as a template to use with other videos I create? I'm not sure how I add this template to the list available.
Thanks again.
John
4/18/2010 3:44 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
John -- this is in the comments above:
Green = frame-rate
Red – now playing bitrate
Blue – now downloading bitrate
Orange – measured bandwidth

As to using the simulator as a template, I've not really tried honestly...but the graphing template included in EE3 is essentially the same.
4/30/2010 12:35 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
Is there a flag to set in the HTML that hides the graphs by default?
5/26/2010 8:16 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
when the video finishes playing what are the statistics quoted ?
c=
b=
d=
r=
p=
nc=
dn=
rn=
pn=
thanks
5/27/2010 1:49 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
you can pause the video and cause the stats panel to appear above the graph by pressing [enter] or [space] instead of waiting until the end of the video
5/27/2010 2:31 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
c= chunk
b= must be some kind of bitrate, but it does not match the graph
rn= seems to be framerate but then what is r= ?
dn= is 0.0 unless the framerate drops, so I am guessing thats dropped frames.
5/27/2010 2:34 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
using reflector on the smoothstreaming.dll did not help but I did find this
img31.imageshack.us/.../...koolreflectorsmooth.png
I gues Microsoft has a soft spot for the old days.
3/26/2011 10:39 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
What are the applications of Smooth Streaming?
10/23/2011 10:40 AM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator
How to insert those bit rate graphs on the player. I am unable to do that.
12/8/2012 4:46 PM | # re: Silverlight Smooth Streaming: UX Simulator

Does the UX Simulator work with the latest release of Silverlight 5 and IIS 8? Also I clicked on the link above and it took me to MS Expressions web site instead of the UX Simulator. Can I get a copy from you?