I previously wrote about DataGrid grouping using the declarative model of adding GroupDescriptors.  Unfortunately that feature (the declarative part) never made it to the release of Silverlight 3.  It was pointed out to me that I should update that post and it has been on my //TODO list for a while.  Here’s an update…

First, I’m still using a sample data class of Person as my test data:

1: using System.Collections.Generic;
   3: namespace DataGridGroupingUpdated
   4: {
   5:     public class Person
   6:     {
   7:         public string FirstName { get; set; }
   8:         public string LastName { get; set; }
   9:         public string Gender { get; set; }
  10:         public string AgeGroup { get; set; }
  11:     }
  12:
  13:     public class People
  14:     {
  15:         public static List<Person> GetPeople()
  16:         {
  17:             List<Person> peeps = new List<Person>();
  18:             peeps.Add(new Person() { FirstName = "Tim", LastName = "Heuer", Gender = "M", AgeGroup = "Adult" });
  19:             peeps.Add(new Person() { FirstName = "Lisa", LastName = "Heuer", Gender = "F", AgeGroup = "Adult" });
  20:             peeps.Add(new Person() { FirstName = "Zoe", LastName = "Heuer", Gender = "F", AgeGroup = "Kid" });
  21:             peeps.Add(new Person() { FirstName = "Zane", LastName = "Heuer", Gender = "M", AgeGroup = "Kid" });
  22:             return peeps;
  23:         }
  24:     }
  25: }

Then my XAML is a simple DataGrid (make sure to add assembly references to your project to System.Windows.Controls.Data):

1: <UserControl x:Class="DataGridGroupingUpdated.MainPage"
   2:     xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
   3:     xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
   4:     xmlns:d="http://schemas.microsoft.com/expression/blend/2008" xmlns:mc="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/markup-compatibility/2006"
   5:     xmlns:datacontrols="clr-namespace:System.Windows.Controls;assembly=System.Windows.Controls.Data"
   6:     mc:Ignorable="d" d:DesignWidth="640" d:DesignHeight="480">
   7:     <Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot">
   8:         <StackPanel>
   9:             <StackPanel Orientation="Horizontal">
  10:                 <TextBlock Text="Group:" Margin="0,0,10,0" />
  11:                 <ComboBox x:Name="GroupNames" SelectionChanged="GroupNames_SelectionChanged">
  12:                     <ComboBox.Items>
  13:                         <ComboBoxItem Content="AgeGroup" IsSelected="True" />
  14:                         <ComboBoxItem Content="Gender" />
  15:                     </ComboBox.Items>
  16:                 </ComboBox>
  17:             </StackPanel>
  18:             <datacontrols:DataGrid x:Name="PeopleList" />
  19:         </StackPanel>
  20:     </Grid>
  21: </UserControl>

Notice the xmlns:datacontrols declaration at the top.

Now since we can’t do the grouping declaratively as in my previous sample with Silverlight 3 beta, here’s how we could do it.  In Silverlight 3 you have access to PagedCollectionView (add a reference to System.Windows.Data to get it).  This is a view that enables you to add sort and group descriptors.  In my initial loading code I instantiate a new PagedCollectionView passing in my List<Person> as the enumerable type.  I then set a default grouping on it.

1: PagedCollectionView pcv = null;
   3: public MainPage()
   4: {
   5:     InitializeComponent();
   6:     Loaded += new RoutedEventHandler(MainPage_Loaded);
   7: }
   9: void MainPage_Loaded(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
  10: {
  11:     pcv = new PagedCollectionView(People.GetPeople());
  12:     pcv.GroupDescriptions.Add(new PropertyGroupDescription("AgeGroup"));
  13:
  14:     PeopleList.ItemsSource = pcv;
  15: }

Then I can wire up a quick and dirty (just for demonstration purposes) ComboBox to show changing the grouping (or perhaps adding another one if you’d like):

1: private void GroupNames_SelectionChanged(object sender, SelectionChangedEventArgs e)
   2: {
   3:     if (pcv != null)
   4:     {
   5:         // comment this next line out to see
   6:         // adding additional groupings.
   7:         pcv.GroupDescriptions.Clear();
   8:         ComboBoxItem itm = (ComboBoxItem)GroupNames.SelectedItem;
   9:         pcv.GroupDescriptions.Add(new PropertyGroupDescription(itm.Content.ToString()));
  10:     }
  11: }

You see we are just changing the PagedCollectionView and not the DataGrid.  The binding that exists between them already understands what to do – so we just have to change the data source, not the control displaying the source.  Put them all together and the running application shows the grouping:

DataGrid grouping sample image

Hopefully this helps clarify the change from SL3 beta and apologies for the delay in updating what is a common sample request.  Who knows, maybe in future versions the declarative model will come back :-).  Here’s the code for the above if you’d like to see it: DataGridGroupingUpdated.zip

11/4/2009 3:31 PM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
I seriously need a way to change the text that appears in the grouping line. In your example, you didn't change the column headers, but if you did, giving the header "Type" for example, when we group by the column the grouping header is still "AgeGroup" instead of "Type".
In my project, the class property names are highly technical, but I cannot change the grouping header. Do you have any plans to implement a solution?
Maybe a new parameter in the initializer "new PropertyGroupDescription"...
11/4/2009 8:44 PM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
That was impressive work. I always like your articles.
OT:
I have developed one application in silverlight and in that I am using DataGrid and there is one column for Image that is coming from Database. I have used Pager now whenever user navigate to another page, Image doesn't get refreshed. Could you please guide me?

Kishan
11/5/2009 5:18 AM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
@Alan: I am trying to find a solution for this me too.

If anyone has an answer on this please do share it with us
11/16/2009 3:36 PM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
@Alan & Antonis, would these Attributes help ?

[System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.Required]
[System.ComponentModel.DataAnnotations.Display(Name= "NewName", GroupName = "NewGroupName")]

?

Rich

11/18/2009 1:13 PM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
Thanks for shwoing how to do that. I am also interested to know if there is an easy way to display totals for certains columns in each group ?
11/18/2009 4:35 PM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
Thanks for sharing the tip, very handy.
11/26/2009 12:54 PM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
thanks admin
Are you really cool
11/27/2009 2:02 PM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
Is there any way to have a sum in the grouped row for specific columns? So if I were showing sales of a retail store by department I could sum together each of the entries inside the group to show a total for the group.

Possible?
4/21/2010 3:47 PM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
is there a way to order the group headers?
5/14/2010 12:44 AM | # Changing group header in a Silverlight DataGrid
You can change the header using IValueConverter.

PropertyGroupDescription pgd = new PropertyGroupDescription("Product", new GroupConverter() );

Then, convert the passed object value to your custom string

public class GroupConverter : IValueConverter
{

#region IValueConverter Members

public object Convert(object value, Type targetType, object parameter, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
{
Product p = value as Product;
return string.Format("ID:{0} Description:{1} SerialNumber:{2}", p.ID, p.Description, p.SerialNumber);
}

public object ConvertBack(object value, Type targetType, object parameter, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
{
throw new NotImplementedException();
}

#endregion
}

Cheers from Portugal
7/20/2010 11:55 AM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
To change the text that appears in the line, try this article. You basically need to modify teh DataGridRowGroupHeader
9/5/2010 9:43 AM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
The following worked for me:

<sdk:DataGrid.RowGroupHeaderStyles>
<Style TargetType="sdk:DataGridRowGroupHeader">
<Setter Property="PropertyNameVisibility"
Value="Collapsed" />
</Style>
</sdk:DataGrid.RowGroupHeaderStyles>

Then you set the GroupDescriptors on your source to a property you create with the desired grouping text.
12/7/2010 11:07 PM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
I am new to silverlight and using silverlight 3.i want to group my columns under one column or have a combine header.
Suppose column1,column2,colulmn3 have there own headers as well as there is one combine header named column for all these columns....
Is there any way to do or guide me how to do this??

Thanks in advance!!
2/14/2011 4:39 PM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
Awesome article. Thanks Tim !!
2/14/2011 5:56 PM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
What if i dont want to display the column by which I am grouping. For example here will be the AgeGroup and Gender.
3/16/2011 6:05 PM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
Hi, your example works just find for me, now I need to know how I can manage Data. For example, if the user selects a group y can display in an other grid the detail of each group.
Thanks.
4/25/2011 8:58 PM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
Thanks, nice sample.
6/17/2011 6:41 AM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
This article helped me. Thanks a lot!
8/30/2011 3:08 AM | # re: Grouping data in a Silverlight DataGrid
1.No dataset Support
2.cannot handle large amount of data
3.asynch calls wastage of time and the time to completion is out of control
4.cannot add grouping sum,subtotal,and grand total dynamically in the datagrid
5.needs to write lot of coding for a small functionality, for ex: textbox focus on usercontrol loaded
6.if something is wrong with the xaml editor entare visual studio crashes, with giving so much error details that a common developer doesn't understand

i think this product is only for high school projects , it can only considered as flash program thats it.. nothing more than that. bulding business applications is insane with silverlight