There are a few ways to give feedback on Silverlight.  I wanted to share my thoughts on them as some are obvious and some aren’t.

Forums

The product team and test team regularly monitor the Silverlight Forums.  It is a great place to get your questions answered by other experts, community members and perhaps the product team directly.  This is a good place to search for previous questions as well.

Report a bug

If you’ve scoured the forums, posted your question and didn’t get any answer and you think you’ve identified a bug, you can submit one.  I’ll admit here this is a cumbersome process.  We’re trying to improve it, I promise.  I’ve been on some user studies with this team giving them feedback on that.  Until then, here’s what you’d have to do:

1. Visit http://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio (you have to have a Live ID to login)
  2. Create a new issue under Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4
  3. In that template you’ll see a drop-down list for Visual Studio Version – here select your version of Silverlight (3 or 4)
  4. Complete the rest of the form.

Yes, I know it may seem odd, but for now that is a part of the process.  If you submit a bug, be prepared to submit a reproduction of the bug.  I can’t stress enough this fact: providing a reproducible project showing the potential bug is the fastest route to resolution.

Got a suggestion for the future versions?

Here’s my favorite part.  If you think you’ve got a suggestion (not a bug) and want it on the wish list, then add it!

Visit http://silverlight.mswish.net to add your suggestions.  Here is what I ask of you:

• SEARCH FIRST using simple terms.  Duplicates suck.  Add your votes to something that already exists first.  If you search for “I think printing should work with bilateral PNG fusion” then you may not find anything.  But if you search “printing” there may be a suggestion already logged for you to add your votes to.
  • BE VAGUELY SPECIFIC.  This is a tough one.  Ensure you don’t make a suggestion that boxes everyone else out from voting.  Example: Printing sucks, fix it. is not a good suggestion.  It’s too vague and doesn’t help.  Meanwhile Printing should include automatic pagination is a much better suggestion.
  • DON’T PUT MULTIPLE SUGGESTIONS IN ONE.  Don’t add a suggestion that is actually multiple.  Example of a bad one: Change printing, implement modal and add transparent windows is actually 3 different suggestions.

The team looks at this list to help prioritize and understand how people are using this.  This list is always there and we’ll mark things planned/completed when we identify what we’ll be working on.

Blogs

As always if you see something on my blog or other Silverlight team members’ blogs, leave a comment.  We don’t go around announcing each other’s blog posts so if you send me a question about something David Poll wrote…it’s better to start with him first.  Blogs are great sources of information but also can be hard to find specific bits of information at time.  They are a mechanism for sharing bits and pieces.  Usually you’ll find deep feature content from a program manager who owns that feature.

Hope this helps!

5/3/2010 11:19 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
thanks for the great info. There's a typo on the "Future Versions of Silverlight" survey - employer size, option 4 reads "50-49 people" should be "50-249 people"
5/3/2010 2:01 PM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
MarcelDevG - what does 'old stuff' mean. If the feature hasn't been implemented, it's not removed. After SL4 released I went and marked a lot of items completed.
5/4/2010 1:10 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
"providing a reproducible project showing the potential bug is the fastest route to resolution."
-->
Hi Tim, remember developer story, its happend on client, but does not happend on developer's machine ?
I did face some bug on vwd2010, post it connect, and having a hard time to reproduce the bug that is occured, mostly, so far, happend during refactor rename...
One of the bug gone after i close vwd, how im gonna prove that ?
5/4/2010 6:13 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
How is Microsoft addressing issues highlighted in the article below:

http: / / arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/05/unlocked-windows-phone-7-image-shows-office-progress.ars
5/4/2010 6:41 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
Hey Tim,

The survey appears to be broken if you try to answer "Other" to the second question (what type of app do you develop). It tells me it requires an answer (even though I did) and won't continue. I'd love to give some feedback, but don't want to have to give incorrect answers. I'm using IE 8. And it might be significant that there's an edit box by "Other" but no checkbox.

John
5/4/2010 8:27 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
Tom -- I'm not sure there is anything to address in that article. It's speaking of a hacked ROM image. I don't consider that on par with whatever the core Windows Phone OS team doing (and I'm not privy to anyway).
5/4/2010 3:00 PM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight

"what does 'old stuff' mean. If the feature hasn't been implemented, it's not removed."

Oh, ok, my mistake :)
But, I was lead to this impression because nothing is dated, so you have no idea how old some items are. If you look at some of the comments, some are 8 months olds.
And some part of the items are implemented and some are not. (the item about the databinding support).
So it's a bit confusing sometimes. But hey, it's better than wish@microsoft.com
Maybe some feedback like "we will think about it"/"will do"/"will not do" or some comments why it's likely or not likely.

Marcel
5/4/2010 3:10 PM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
Yeah Marcel -- it's a *constant* wish list -- no dates. If someone has a strong desire to have feature XYZ on there, they put it on the list. If we don't implement it in 2 years, I still want to keep it on the list.

As to the other features (will do/not do/etc) - I'll never mark anything "not do" unless it is without our realm of control (i.e., iPhone, etc. would be things like that I'd consider). As soon as we announce certain features I do go back in and mark them as planned.
5/5/2010 7:21 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
that user voice thing will not let me sign in with my live id.
i use the same id on many other places w/o problems.
5/8/2010 8:47 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
Tim...
Why doesn't Microsoft announce that they are NOT supporting Visual Basic anymore. Seems like every sample and any code written with Silverlight is in C# and us VB programmers have to beg to get the code also written in VB.
I think there is still a hugh percentage of coders using VB, and we should not be slighted like this by anyone.
Hope you consider adding VB support to your blog.
Tony
4/12/2011 3:02 PM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
Give Feedback to Silverlight?? For real, did i miss something???....
3D LED TV
4/20/2011 12:32 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
Don’t add a suggestion that is actually multiple. Example of a bad one: Change printing, implement modal and add transparent windows is actually 3 different suggestions. k visit ad visit am visit u visit
4/21/2011 2:47 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
Blogs are great sources of information but also can be hard to find specific bits of information at time. They are a mechanism for sharing bits and pieces. Usually you’ll find deep feature content from a program manager who owns that feature. v visit
4/24/2011 12:35 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
We’re trying to improve it, I promise. I’ve been on some user studies with this team giving them feedback on that. w visit
4/26/2011 9:13 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
I found out that by changing the permissions for the files in Packagemaker, I was able to install it on any m/c. Edinburgh Computer Repairs
4/28/2011 2:52 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
As the thread comes off the bobbin for winding, on my machine it doesn’t go into the first notch, but does go in the 2nd notch. Then, I have to pull the thread forward and then over to the left.Edible Oil Refinery
5/3/2011 9:12 PM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
Thanks for providing me such information.
Pass4sure 640-760
642-415
5/5/2011 1:50 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
5/11/2011 1:50 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
Clear writing skill which also showing the research you have done on the topics. I am impressed with the discussion also passed a good time here. I am definitely bookmarking this site for better purpose and use. Plano dental
5/12/2011 8:02 PM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
Dude!!! I am not much into reading, but somehow I got to read lots of articles on your blog. It’s amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often. Austin dental
6/13/2011 3:16 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
Looking at your blog article is a real fantastic experience. Thank you for considering readers at all like me, and I desire for you the best of success for a professional in this area. Wheat Flour Milling Equipment
6/16/2011 1:01 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
As the thread comes off the bobbin for winding, on my machine it doesn’t go into the first notch, but does go in the 2nd notch. Then, I have to pull the thread forward and then over to the le642-654 | LX0-101
7/5/2011 12:18 PM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
I have no regrets using it. I have to say that it made my life a lot easier. This is just a matter of adjustments.
learn 2 speak Spanish
10/9/2011 12:01 AM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
Still there is room for greater development and I would recommend more emphasis on research and of course it will bring a better situation. Thanks for sharing a nice read .aluma wallet
7/5/2012 7:30 PM | # re: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight
It is really ideal to have a commenting page in your website. With it, you would able to know the different reactions of your readers.