The Silverlight team today posted some information about what the future holds for rich Internet apps and where we have come with SIlverlight, where we see HTML5 playing a role and how Silverlight will be a part of the future of this next evolution of rich Internet apps.

Brad Becker, Director of Product Management, provides some information behind the value of Silverlight in a world where HTML5 will also co-exist:

Expect to see more from Silverlight in these areas especially in our focus scenarios of high-quality media experiences, consumer apps and games, and business apps.

When you invest in learning Silverlight, you get the ability to do any kind of development from business to entertainment across screens from browser to mobile to living room, for fun, profit, or both. And best of all, you can start today and target the 600,000,000 desktops and devices that have Silverlight installed.

I would encourage you to go and read “The Future of Silverlight” (frankly which I think should be titled The Future Includes Silverlight) as it provides some good information about what exists today, capabilities of platforms and where these technologies can grow into in the future.  Be sure to leave comments for Brad on the post as well!

9/1/2010 11:01 PM | # re: Silverlight, HTML5 and the future
I just like silverlight!
9/2/2010 1:22 AM | # re: Silverlight, HTML5 and the future

I tried to post a comment on that page but there appears to be a JavaScript error on it which stops comments being posted - I wondered why there were't any!

I'll publish the comment here instead:

"Thanks for this Brad,

Personally, I have been spending a lot of time getting up to speed with Silverlight / Expression Blend (using the .toolbox course) but have also had my head turned by the possibilities available with HTML5 / CSS3 / jQuery etc.

It's good to have a reaffirmation that there is definitely a future with Silverlight in it (and my learning efforts won't be in vain!)"

9/2/2010 2:33 AM | # re: Silverlight, HTML5 and the future
The idea of writing such article, especially by Microsoft, is a good idea, it helps people understand the role of plugins(Silverlight\Flash) vs HTML.

Personally, I think the article is good but it's incomplete, like many articles on this subject.
First, it doesn't make sense to me to compare a plugin vs HTML alone. It would make a little more sense to compare plugin vs HTML+Javascript.

People which are not tech savvy or haven't got the chance to read about Silverlight, are confused.
The reason I think is because it looks like there are different ways(using plugins and HTML+Javascript) to write the same app.
For some specific types of simple apps this is true. For this kind of apps, HTML+Javascript should definitely be used, especially with the new drawing capabilities given by HTML v5.

For all other types of apps, the confusion comes from the lack of understanding the architecture of plugins vs HTML+Javascript.
Plugins are applications like (almost) any other executable on your machine. For this reason, they offer more in terms of what you can access from your computer and what you can generally do in your app.

It's interesting to note something. Browsers already expose in Javascript some powerful features to access your computer and run powerful code. For example, IE offers access to ActiveX\COM in Javascript. In FireFox, there are other similar features.
If browsers have had agreed on a common interface exposed in JavaScript, I think a new type of apps could had be written.

9/2/2010 9:21 AM | # re: Silverlight, HTML5 and the future
I think the most important is that GPU and 3D should be fully supported in the futrue for silverlight, otherwise I will cry everyday
9/2/2010 9:31 AM | # re: Silverlight, HTML5 and the future
Flash10.1 has made GPU very strong, I don't know why silverlight can't do it better? yet I'm a silverlight fans, so i feel sad to hope MS can do it well in the futrue(sorry, my english is poor...)
9/3/2010 7:47 AM | # re: Silverlight, HTML5 and the future
Keep up the good work with Silverlight and never think about stopping to innovate with Silverlight. There is no comparison between HTML 5 and Silverlight. Silverilght is clearly superior with cutting-edge features that HTML simply cannot do.
9/7/2010 10:28 AM | # re: Silverlight, HTML5 and the future
We changed horses midstream from HTML/Java to Silverlight, and are soon to release a rather robust enterprise project management application. With Silverlight, we can accomplish real time cross-project resource leveling. With HTML/Java it was horribly slow, and realistically useless. With Silverlight scheduling is instantaneous. Simple as that --- Silverlight solved a performance problem that likely won't be solved even with HTML5, even if we waited until 2022 (see the quote below from Wikipedia). In fact, I would suspect slower performance as most "standards" become so bloated from so many cooks in the kitchen.

From Wikipedia: "Ian Hickson, editor of the HTML5 specification, expects the specification to reach the Candidate Recommendation stage during 2012. The criteria for the specification becoming a W3C Recommendation is “two 100% complete and fully interoperable implementations”. In an interview with TechRepublic, Hickson guessed that this would occur in the year 2022 or later. However, many parts of the specification are stable and may be implemented in products (sooner)".