In the release of Visual Studio 2010 Feature Pack 2 one feature that might be interesting to Silverlight developers is the introduction of support for the coded UI test framework and Silverlight 4 applications, specifically:

• Use Microsoft Test Manager to capture and playback action recordings for Silverlight 4 applications
  • Create coded UI tests for Silverlight 4 applications with Visual Studio 2010 Premium or Ultimate

There are more features in the feature pack (see link above for more details) but also some videos to help you understand these features.  Here’s a video of the one of the examples:

Get Microsoft Silverlight

Other videos are:

Pretty cool feature that folks have been asking for.  If you are an MSDN subscriber get the feature pack!

11/25/2010 3:36 AM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
Yes, test recording doesn't seem to support IE9beta. I have the same problem. Any info about if/when this support is coming?
11/25/2010 4:17 AM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
Damn, MS guys knows what I, as a developer need, before I'll know it.
Great job guys
11/25/2010 5:56 AM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
Does it work with OOB apps?
11/25/2010 5:09 PM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
Wow! That's what I was looking for... Now, where to get money to afford Ultimate subscription?
11/29/2010 8:20 AM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
I have to take a different reaction to this. The ability to test Silverlight applications up to this point has been tedious at best. Silverlight's aversion to testing is probably my biggest complaint against the framework. Microsoft finally throws us a bone, and it's only available in Ultimate and Premium? My desire to drop Silverlight grows every day.
11/29/2010 9:18 AM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
Is this video posted anywhere else? I can't get it to run. It loads fine, but the play button does nothing.
12/9/2010 3:56 PM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
This looks great. Does it work with Prism and the UnityContainer?
12/10/2010 9:52 AM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
Hi Tim, thanks for the useful video. I do have one question though, everything works fine for me until right click to run the test. At which point i get a message saying 'No test were run because no tests are loaded or the selected tests are diabled'. Am i missing some additional setup?? thanks.
12/23/2010 3:18 PM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
Is this Video Removed? I can't play it.
1/11/2011 11:08 AM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
The video does not seem to work (tried on Chome and IE 8), even after waiting for a few minutes for it to buffer.
3/4/2011 5:46 AM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
Any response to the issue Criag D reported 3 months ago?

Still not fixed in IE9 RC

3/15/2011 8:10 AM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
Does it support prism, unity, telerik controls?
3/15/2011 8:30 AM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
The performance of all that stuff is VERY low...

It takes 10 minutes to fill in 2 forms, but I can do all that manually in 5 minutes... Whats up?

Will using of AutomationId properties for controls speedup the execution?

Also why minimal setting for delays between actions could not be set less than 100 ms?
3/18/2011 9:54 AM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
I don't see any vedio, it just display the blank white area, when i right click it the standard silverlight dialog box opens up,
what migh be causing the vedio not to be displayed ?

Also i have notice another problem when developing silverlight base application, i created Silverlight 4 application to Map a Push pin, by calling virtual earth Geocding service. That application works fine when using from home, but found that it is running into problem when the same silverlight application is running behind PROXY SERVER of CORPORATE ENVIRONMENT. It does not pickup the Browser setting for Proxy server, instead faile with 407 error, asking for credential.

I did post a question on this, it has been long and nobody has responded on it.

Could silverlight video not palyin is also running into similar problems.

I know that we can specify Proxy Server and use defaulcredentials, but could not find a way to specify it with Virtual earth web service.
5/12/2011 3:01 PM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available

This article was very useful for us and also to take a look on the generated code. Currently we found some limitations in the way how the objects are map by the tool. I tried to make work the AutomationID property but I was not able and my objects where recognized by the contained text / position.

Currently I had implement a way to open any Silverlight application and install a little library that gives me via socket the object that I am pointing using a WPF to generate the UI asserts and later generate a code similar to the one generated by this tool but I can not skip to question myself if this framework can give me an alternative workaround.

Do you know if I can get additional information to identify properly the objects?

Anyway I am thinking about to share my development and experience adquire to the rest of people (specially if somebody wants to access to the full properties of the pointed frameworkelement and not only the testable ones :(

In any case thanks for sharing and as usual in your blog; congratulations for the great job!
9/29/2011 6:05 AM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
Silverlight Media Framework is awesome. Live Writer is awesome. Awesome+Aweomse = Awesomely Awesome. Kidding aside, if you have
similar workflows to me, this should help you. It has streamlined the content publishing process when I need it in a simple, but efficient way.
sofitel
10/12/2011 11:32 PM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
A visionary doesn't have to do all of the inventing. Sometimes it's about knowing what to do with the technology. Dried Fruits
10/13/2011 1:28 PM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
Thanks for the video too which provides an audio visual aid for those interested in learning the steps. This is much easier given that the steps are not to complicated.
Internet Service Providers
10/21/2011 4:11 AM | # re: Coded UI testing for Silverlight 4 now available
I found the perfect place for my needs. Contains wonderful and useful messages. I have read most of them and has a lot of them.To me, he's doing the great work. Symptoms of Kidney Stones
6/29/2012 5:29 AM | # Coded UI testing for Silverlight 5 now available????
Hello Tim,
first of all , many thanks for the great work you are doing with this site of yours. It helped a lot in many scenarios.
About me, I am new to silverlight and started stratight away with SL5+WCF+RIA. I was wondering the title of this page is working for silverlight 5 as well. i had gone through the methods of coded UT testing in VS-2010 but failed.
anything to share or MS still hasnt released anything yet ?
Thanks in Advance