Today (at approximately 10:00 AM PST) our team released an update to the Silverlight 4 runtime.  This update, dubbed internally as “GDR3,” provides an update in the following key areas (KB2495644):

• Timestamp issues with media playback and VC-1 codec
  • Visual Studio IDE crash when profiling a Silverlight application which has a pixel shader
  • Enabling Silverlight to run as a 32-bit process in 64-bit Firefox on OSX
  • DRM fixes for a “6207” error when playing protected content after upgrading to a version of Silverlight
  • Memory leak fixes with regard to the use of in-line DataTemplate
  • Out-of-browser applications failing to update if the application name was changed
  • Media playback error when the media streams have redirect information
  • Improving network latency (KB2505882)

Many readers of this blog will likely zero in on the memory leak fix here.  The issue is discussed/debated/ridiculed ad nauseam on the forums relating to this issue.  If your customer applications are facing this issue and you chose not to apply one of the two workarounds, then you want to encourage your customers to upgrade to this release.  This can be done using the minimum runtime version attributes in your <object> tags where you use Silverlight.  This will prompt the user for an upgrade.  Of course, I’ve stated my opinion many times before that this should be a customized experience and we’ve even provided sample code to do so in our installation experience whitepaper.

‘I noticed <your-favorite-bug/feature> isn’t fixed here’

Each service release doesn’t fix our backlog completely.  If there is an issue you are seeing with Silverlight after applying this update, please, please, please log a bug on the product.  Don’t assume someone else has.  There is a specific way you can log a product bug on Silverlight as I’ve outlined in this post: Ways to give feedback on Silverlight.  The ideal bug is one that is detailed, reproducible, and provides an actual repro project/sample.  This is the fastest route to getting a bug understood and evaluated.

Getting the update

As with all service updates, this update will be made available to customers via Microsoft Update.  If you are a developer and don’t want to wait, you can download the bits here (please be aware network propagation across the globe might take a few hours):

There is NO SDK update for this release.  As a developer you only need to update the developer runtime on your machine to continue enabling Silverlight development but to also have the new runtime on your machine as a user as well.  Please note that by you, the developer, simply having the updated dev runtime doesn’t “force” your apps to use it.  This is controlled by using the minRuntimeVersion flags in your <object> tag to trigger what the minimum requirement is for your application.

Hope this helps!

2/14/2011 12:53 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Good to see that bugs get's fixed pretty fast. the network latency improvement is cool.
But the, there is only one more thing *I* need:
dotnet.uservoice.com/.../314361-set-the-filenam...

Let us specify the name of the file we want to save...
Eventually would you please explain why this is so?

That thing is a real pain when writing LOB application. My customers laught at me (grin) and also I have many ideas of products that cannot be done because of that.
Imagine an IDE writen with Silverlight. I want to write one so badly but just because this is missing there is no way I can get out a usable product. Can you imagine me asking my customer for the name of the file he is editing?
Each time he wants to save it? No way...
Now, maybe this is so trivial to do that nobody seems to care about to explain me how to do...
How hard can this be?
Anyway this could manage to slip into the next correction batch?
That would be awesome...
Thanks in advance and keepp up the good work,
John.
2/14/2011 4:06 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
I take it this does not conflict with SP1 beta?
2/14/2011 6:43 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
The best place to put feedback is here :)

flickr for windows 7
i see the video, wow ! i wonder how much xaml i have to code to bring similiar experience ! (this is complain btw)

i want to use it !
i can not install it, if i use ie9 RC...
use firefox then, as an OOB apps, the install experience is ugly...
its installed on desktop, quick, then tada... pop up... installing native extension 1.0
ok2 i install it too then... error HResult bla2...
during test im on win vista... looks like native extension not working on vista ?

sometimes when i see video on silverlight...
it took a lot of times just to load video player...

from developer view, i cant see the benefit of silverlight on ui..
it should be possible to create something like that flickr apps i see on video quick !
2/15/2011 1:28 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Can someone check the instructions for the network latency issue. I've installed the Silverlight SDK, but I don't see the registry keys mentioned in the instructions.
2/15/2011 2:00 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Any more information on the reduced network latency. How is this accomplished? Using a background thread for doing networking?
2/15/2011 2:04 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
2/15/2011 6:48 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Developers(inclucing me) have been asking/voting in uservoice to fix setting the filename on Save As Dialog for nearly 2 years now, all browsers can do it, winforms and wpf can do it, but silverlight can't.
I looked like a fool after proposing silverlight for file transfer solution when i could not get the filename set automatically, We had to go with Java Web Start for our file transfer solution, what a shame.
2/15/2011 8:12 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Hi Tim, apprecite the update. May we get more info on the

•Improving network latency (KB2505882)

The info on the link falls a bit short.

Best Regards
2/15/2011 8:19 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Tim, if we set the minRuntimeVersion to the most recent version of SL 4, will this fix memory leaks for a silverlight 3 app?
2/15/2011 12:07 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Here here to Jonx and Vik regarding the SaveAsDialog - which is so broken we end up using COM and the Windows native dialog in out OOB SL4 app.

It's hard to understand why this usability fix hasn't been implemented yet and like most requests here, we probably won't hear a response from Tim.

I think it's a case of Microsoft not having any real world experience / end-user experience with their SL technology. As soon as you developer a real-world app this problem rears it's ugly head. Customers have laughed when I've had to explain it to them!
2/15/2011 12:39 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
I decided to wait a day before posting this because I believed Tim deserved a break for at least one day considering the release of the fix. Now that the day is gone, here's the type of thing that just enfuriates us loyal Silverlight developers.

"Enabling Silverlight to run as a 32-bit process in 64-bit Firefox on OSX"

It's great to see you guys dedicated a bunch of time fixing an issue that maybe affects fifteen people on the planet (who quite frankly who cares about.) Meanwhile, nearly 1500 votes for setting the default filename in the SaveFileDialog box and NOTHING. What's worse is that we all know that this would take less than an hour to fix. How you guys prioritize stuff is a complete mystery to us. In this instance, not addressing this issue is just pathetic.
2/16/2011 6:58 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Tim, sorry, i should have been more specific. :\ We have a section of our app that allows users to view jpgs that tend to have dimensions of about 792 x 774. usually around the 25th image they just stop coming in. I can see the data being passed to the client using fiddler, but they just don't render to the screen.
The only way i was able to actually figure out it was a memory leak was by using webclients (one per image) to download the image data and then set the bitmap source manually. it threw an out of memory exception.
Even if a user views only a handful of images, then navigates away from the page (within the same SL app) and then views a different set of images, again, around the 25th image total, they stop being rendered.
I've tried using inline datatemplates and datatemplates as a resource, but still get the same result. Do you have any more suggestions for workarounds? Again, this is a silverlight 3 app. I've even considered trying a DeepZoom control instead of a generic Image in hopes that it is a little more tightened up on the memory management.
We're not in a position that we could easily upgrade to SL 4 right now, and this section of the app is pretty critical. Any direction you could give would great! Thanks in advance, -Ryan

2/16/2011 10:47 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Thanks Tim for taking the SaveFileDialog into consideration. We know that you are on our side. That's why we complain to YOU, we know you listen and care ;)

Thanks for giving some insight of how you give priority to the issues to solve and features to add. I understand that this is a NEW feature but I just don't understand why this is not there since DAY ONE.

The thing is that I can live with all the other issues. I know that the people having those issues may not but I see a workaround for all those issues even if not pretty... Just here I don't see an easy workaround. You could use a redirect to a HTTFileHandler to be able to specify the name but because of the security constraints involved (popup blockers, direct clic required, etc.) you get a solution that is neither pretty nor reliable.

Then, again, this is Silverlight FOUR. even if this takes a week to correct it should be done for a long time already.

I can live with slow network latency and memory leaks just not without a SaveFileDialog that let's me specify a default name.

Another example. Today I did deploy a new project sold to a customer. It lets his own customer order stuff (complicated orders, it workds so great with SL). They need to save the order to a file and send the file to our order handler system. The file name needs to have specific information in it so that we can handle it automaticaly on our side: customer number + year + month + order number + extension.
Something like DEP42-4539-2011Fév-ATV54.dta

How painful do you think this is to type for my customers knowing that I could fill that in for them as I have ALL the informations required? How many time do you think they make errors in typing that long name? No, it's not an option to submit the files directly from the SL4 because the customers do not always have access to the internet (we get the files on usb drives).

To my knowledge silverlight is the only that has this limitation. I invested everything in Silverlight and cannot, and do not want to develop my LOB application with another technologie.

Silverlight is awesome. So easy. I love it so much! Just give me the SaveFileDialog thing...

Please?

I can even come this summer as a summer intern and work for free a week or two to correct this if you accept 37 year old 2 meter tall interns :P

-John.
2/16/2011 10:47 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Finally! Thank you! Now, please focus on other memory leaks please...
2/17/2011 5:28 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
ㅅㄴㅅㄴㅈㄴ
2/18/2011 1:21 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
As Marc Roussel also experienced ...

Silverlight 4.0.60129.0 update installed but not detected.

On WXP.sp3/IE8 system and Win7.sp1/IE8 both fully patched with version 4.0.50917 installed.

Updated Silverlight to 4.0.60129.0

The GetSilverlight page insists:
Installed version: 4.0.51231.20
Current version: Silverlight 4 (4.0.60129.0)

- Uninstalled Silverlight
- deleted remaining files in "c:\program files\microsoft silverlight"
- restarted computers
- revisited GetSilverlight web page
- reinstalled
- Exited browser
- revisited and refreshed web page

GetSilverlight page still insists that both WXP.sp3 and Win7.sp1 are:
Installed version: 4.0.51231.20
Current version: Silverlight 4 (4.0.60129.0)

Silverlight.Configuration.exe and installation folder name verifies version.
2/23/2011 6:01 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Please, fix those other memory issues!! I'm creating a LOB application using PRISM and even opening the simpelest screen involves a memory increase of 15mb and never seems to be cleaned up!! I'm starting to make a fool out of myself by having chosen for SL!
2/23/2011 9:01 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
I read a post somewhere that said the instructions published in the KB for the network latency feature are incorrect for a 64 bit OS. The key for the runtime version can be found at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v4.0\ReferenceAssemblies\SLRuntimeInstallVersion

www.infoq.com/news/2011/02/Silverlight4-GDR3
2/24/2011 6:11 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Again i couldn't see what i was waiting. There are a lot of small things to be fixed like the SaveDialog issues, MultiScaleImage security bug... people can complain a little bit about performance but they really dont want to use your apps if they dont see proper solutions. I don't think we (silverlight developers) want too much from you...

2/28/2011 10:26 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today

I uninstalled my old SL runtime, installed this new runtime, set the minRuntimeVersion, and checked by right clicking on the application that it's the correct version and it still leaks memory for any views with inline data templates.
3/2/2011 9:50 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Correction on my above statement. The data grid data templates leak is fixed with the new runtime but now i have found objects in the UserControl.Resources leak (which is why i thought it wasn't fixed).
Many objects instantiated in the Resources section remain held in memory by a ManagedObjectReference even when the control has been collected.
This is the tree: GC Handle -> Object[] -> Dictionary<IntPtr, Object> -> Dictionary<TKey, TValue>+Entry<IntPtr, Object>[] -> ManagedObjectReference -> WhateverYourObjectIsCalled.
We have seen this occurring for all kinds of objects i.e. converters, data context proxy, language resources, etc.
Note that it happens very very frequently but not every time, there seems to be no pattern to how or why they're being held.
The only workaround we've been able to find is by using singleton objects with weak references for anything sizeable so that when the view is collected the reference will be stuck in memory but at least the bigger object will be collected.
3/8/2011 1:08 AM | # re: KB 249 5644
Automatic updates from Microsoft usually update my PC successfully, but updating KB 249 5644 always fails. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall Silverlight, but the KB 249 5644 update still fails. Any help to get?
3/9/2011 7:22 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
You have got to be kidding me, but why am I surprised??!! You make a damn system that you want us to use but can't watch a movie because you don't make a Silverlight for a 64 bit system. So what the hell is a guy supposed to do? And do NOT tell me to download that piece of crap FIREFOX. It's nothing but an open door for POPUPS and pain in the butt selling your email address. Seems to me the billion dollar boy wonder made his bucks and now screw all of us that invested thousands into all Microsoft software. Sad days for the computer world.
3/31/2011 5:10 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
After installing this updated Silverlight_Developer now I can't start debugging my SL application (I have VS2010 SP1 installed already before the runtime)
4/13/2011 12:32 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Thanks for the update but there still seems to be a lot of leaks in the runtime. MS.Internal namespace (or whatever it's called in native land) loves to grab memory and hold on to it. Hopefully you employ more patches or release SL 5 soon. I cannot see how you could expect the current SL platform to run LOB apps. I don't want to bash and have found SL's features, toolkits, and WCF RIA services incredibly powerful and easy to learn but it is moot when it leaks all over the place.
8/28/2011 4:08 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
9/13/2011 7:19 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
9/14/2011 3:28 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
9/19/2011 10:23 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Has there been a Silverlight 5 release since it has been released recently?
how to get amex black card
9/23/2011 3:08 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Microsoft is really taking the legwork out of creating a UI rich application and letting the developers focus on supplying the ideas and the data.
search
10/6/2011 11:41 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Your current web-site is fairly quickly growing to be certainly one of my top feature. So, I just stumbled on creative weblog and I just need to state that this amazing is a nice blog post. Bless you pertaining to this kind of knowledge.atlanta search guy
10/10/2011 4:58 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
10/10/2011 6:41 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
One of the newer features that is now supported “out of the box” with Silverlight 4 is the ability to profile your Silverlight application. построить гараж
10/10/2011 6:45 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Silverlight challenges the supremacy of RIA Flash, Flex and AIR with the superior development tools and integration of design tools. стеклоизол
10/10/2011 6:47 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
The out-of-browser application still fails to update when changing the shortcut name. дизайн комнаты
10/10/2011 6:57 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
заточка сверла Finally! Thank you! Now, please focus on other memory leaks please...
10/10/2011 7:03 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
септик своими руками This doesn't work for us, our SL3 app was fine but now we've upgraded to SL4 nothing with an inline data template is disposing.
10/10/2011 7:13 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
I think Netflix button is a plug-in Silverlight, Silverlight is not in itself. Anyway, I'm back at the instant of observation - thanks for posting this information! подложка под ламинат
10/18/2011 3:31 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
You must be aware that you really have an awesome site. Does exactly what it sets out to do. Stimulating me to read much more of your post. Hope to see a lot more excellent posts from you shortly.Dental Implants
6/29/2012 11:36 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
Thank you so much for sharing some great ideas. It has been long before I can find some useful articles, they are helpful.
9/13/2012 11:17 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
May I know is any 2012 update of Silverlight is available ???? over the ear headphones
9/24/2012 10:58 PM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
10/22/2012 5:21 AM | # re: Silverlight 4 February 2011 Update Released Today
I have been visiting various blogs for my research work. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information.
8/7/2014 7:03 AM | # Memory leak issue for VB.net Silverlight
Need help on this. I am Working in VB.Net Silverlight App , Our application has built on VB.net Silverlight where we have some our own constructed dlls for loading and displaying the forms.
I have defined the call of Form.Dispose() method for main as well as for Child forms ,making datasets nothing
and clearing resources for Disposing when we close a form, but the memory is static in TaskManager even after closing the Form,
We are using all the Microsoft System.Windows controls for text box,combobox,C1 components like C1Datagrid and SandRibbon and SandDock Diveelements in Ribbon.
I am unable to know why the Garbage collector is not working or dispose also not working.
Here is the Code for Disposing objects..
#Region "IDisposable Support"
Private disposedValue As Boolean ' To detect redundant calls

' IDisposable
Protected Overridable Sub Dispose(ByVal disposing As Boolean)
If Not Me.disposedValue Then
On Error Resume Next

If disposing Then
If mWorkFlowDefinition IsNot Nothing Then
mWorkFlowDefinition.Dispose()
End If
End If
RemoveHandler CType(Button, Divelements.SandRibbon.Button).Activate, AddressOf HTTPSandRibbonButton_Clicked
If mLoadedFormList IsNot Nothing Then
For Each LoadedForm As LoadedForm In mLoadedFormList
LoadedForm.Form = Nothing
mLoadedFormList.Clear()
End If
mLoadedFormList = Nothing

mTabDefinition = Nothing
mTabSecurity = Nothing
mFormCommandTable = Nothing
mDocumentWindowDictionary = Nothing
Me.disposedValue = True
End Sub
' This code added by Visual Basic to correctly implement the disposable pattern.
Public Sub Dispose() Implements IDisposable.Dispose
' Do not change this code. Put cleanup code in Dispose(ByVal disposing As Boolean) above.
Dispose(True)