i just got a ‘a new version is available’ when i logged into my
msn windows live messenger.
so being the beta monkey i am, i installed it and was immediately reminded of my pet peeves of installers:
- PROVIDE AN UNINSTALL LINK (not the case here, but always like to make that point — and no, the add/remove program doesn’t count — it’s not mother-in-law proof)
- don’t install a shortcut to
- my main start menu (program group okay)
- my quickstart toolbar
- my desktop
- THESE ARE ALL MY SPACES — leave them alone — i’ll organize what i think is important, don’t tell me what/where you think things are important
- PRESERVE MY SETTINGS – installing messenger live didn’t preserve my settings/preferences — it popped up the login screen upon restart (which i turned off) and when i logged in it shows some friggin today screen (which i turned off)
for crying out loud people — listen to the user — if i already had it installed, install it the same way. if i didn’t, let ME choose how to install (and not through a custom option — give me all the options up front).